Norbert Dentressangle

I think he retired, rather than died.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Their own corporate video pronounces it 'stow'

Andy Burns

It's probably a north/south accent variation.

Reply to
charles

Eddie Stobart died when he was in his 50's but his brother kept the trucking side going.

They seem to have diverged into two companies, one running heavy haulage and the other doing rail maintenance, biomass and running Southend airport.

Reply to
Andrew

Not with your mouth full

Reply to
Andrew

So is wikip <shudder/> wrong?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought the Dentressangle were the cooks on the Vogon Constructor Fleet!

Reply to
Paul Herber

seems to say it was the son who died, not the father ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I would guess 'Dontre-songle', with the emphasis on the first syllable

Reply to
Terry Casey

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org>, Terry Casey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid writes

I'll buy that one!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

True (five times). As I said, the TV documentary also used 'Stowbart', but I'm sure that in the radio interview (which I'm sure I heard), one of the family frequently referred to 'Stobbart'. I remember this because I used to work near an ES depot, and used to see dozens of lorries each day. I mentally used to read 'Stowbart' - until I heard the radio programme. Maybe they've simply adopted a policy of 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Similarly, it seems that Colin Powell, the Mercadian 4* general and former US Secretary of State prefers "Collin" rather than "Coe-lin", but decided not to swim against the media tide.

Reply to
Sn!pe

You pronounce it Dessen-Trangle.

Reply to