non slip wood finish ?

Hi all. Parana Pine staircase. Tried water and spirit based varnishes.

Looking for a low/nonslip finish. The above were just too slippery, so had to sand the top off. Also checked out non-slip decking finish from screwfix but the website says external use only so I guess its high in volatiles.

Would rather have a natural finish - ie. don't want those diamond or sand-encrusted black strips ! Sister reckons varnish normally but with silver sand sprinkled in before drying.

any suggestions ?

Reply to
DavidG

Silver sand, as per you sister's suggestion. When I've done it on boats I've used two pack epoxy as the base rather than varnish, which works a treat - just mask round the edge, brush on the epoxy or varnish, sprinkle the sand, job done.

I'd suggest trying it on a gash bit of wood the same colour as the staircase first though, as it's not something you want to have to undo after you have done it.

HTH,

Chris

Reply to
Chris