water based finish?

I am looking to polyurethane some shelves. I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations about the use of water-based versus oil-based finish. These basically going to be bookshelves for the kids' room, if that makes any difference.

Thanks Darren

Reply to
Darren Miller

Water based is not quite as tough, but for your use, it should be sufficient. After the poly dries, let the piece sit for a couple of weeks before using. Poly takes a while to harden up.

The best water-based poly I have found is Staysclear by Benjamin Moore. It is tougher and much easier to use than other products I have used. It has almost no oder, so you can use it inside.

Peter

Reply to
peter

Water based will dry more clear than an oil based. Oil based tends to add a slight yellowy golden tint to the piece. Also the Water based will raise the grain if you are putting this over bare or stained wood. Be sure to sand, lightly dampen with water and then lightly resand to get rid of the raised grain before using a water based stain or varnish.

Reply to
Leon

What DATA do you have to support that statement?

National Wood Flooring Association says differently. What do you know that they don't?

M Hamlin

Reply to
MSH