non-slip paint for external brick steps

Hi, I have a few steps outside my house that are pretty old victorian brick and after a hundred years or so have become very smooth and shiny. It's great to watch the Postman and milkman and any other unsuspecting visitor during the winter but fear I'll probably be open to a law suite sooner or later.

I'm looking for something I can paint on them to provide a rough surface without detracting from their appearance. I have found something called epoxy slip grip supplied by

but although you can obtain the 'clear' version of that product which is basically an Epoxy glue that you apply to the surface followed by some loose aggregate..the actual aggregate is black and that may not look so good for my purposes.

anyone know of any other products or maybe something I can buy as a subsititute to the black aggregate that I could apply over the clear epoxy...wonder if sand might even do the job.

Ant.

Reply to
ANt

Pva them and throw sand on them straight away or scour them with an angle grinder. Try the pva first.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Sorry to disagree, but PVA doesn't hold up too well under damp conditions. It's likely to fail quickly under foot traffic in a wet spell. I think that Victorian bricks are relatively soft inside so abrading the surface may expose material that deterioriates quickly. W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

You're right about the pva. I think there is a waterproof version but I am not sure. I can't imagine anyway to change the steps without colouring them anyway. If the surface is lightly abraded they should be OK.

The point is they should not be dangerous. If he puts sand on them it will track in to the house. Thast leaves deck paint or some sort of resin with sand in it.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil