Noise early on a sunday, and why we cannot make silent tools

We get a lot of it; there's a narrow street one house away, a rat run to the bypass. Commercial vehicles of all sizes turn to enter it, then have to reverse becaise something is coming the other way.

We are used to it.

More of a problem (sheer noise, and continual) is the gulls.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think you will find that building work and such should not create any noise on Sunday, if it does the local council can have the site shut down and fines issued.

Unless its an emergency, so I suppose you could have an emergency refit.

If you are in the middle of the country and there are no neighbours to hear it you can do what you like.

That's why there are few roadworks in operation on Sundays, they can't make a noise.

Reply to
dennis

My laser cutter won't cut metal so I wonder what it will cut..

wood card plastics fabrics and lots of other stuff.

Industrial lasers will also cut metal

I can order online parts cut in stainless steel 20mm thick.

So that's something else harry doesn't know a thing about.

Reply to
dennis

That doesn't explain the other six days of the week when many miles of a motorway are coned off but there is only work being done in one small part (or maybe none at all). It's probably easier for them to pay a crew to come in and cone off the whole length that they will be working on, rather than moving the cones to the bit they are working on that day.

I'm not sure what the official rules about DIY noise are in this country, but I believe some countries such as Germany and Switzerland are very strict both about DIY noise and about where you wash your car.

Reply to
NY

A neighbour of mine wanted to reduce the amount of tree he had recently, and similarly he thought that 8am on a Sunday with a chainsaw was appropriate.

I wonder if those that don't enjoy a lie forget* about those of us who do.

*Or don't give a flying....
Reply to
R D S

Depends on the Planning Conditions.

No, they are often done then because there is less goods traffic.

Reply to
charles

FMurtz

Yet another idiotic statement from the ignoramous Harry to add to the collection over the years.

Just one link of many.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Cant evenb hang your washing out on a Sunday in Germany

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Really? It's like the ultra-Protestant Scottish islands - Lewis? Harris? - where there is very little that you are allowed to do on a Sunday. I thought German was more enlightened and 21st-Century than that.

Reply to
NY

Blimey. Northern Germany is all 'Kinder Kuche Kirche'

You can hear a pin drop in suburbia on a sunday

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no such prohibition.

That's just as fake as saying the EU bans fish and chips in newspaper.

Reply to
Pamela

There is no legislation that says that. And no legislation that says you can only do that on the other days either.

Reply to
Swer

Or wash your car unless you have special drainage arrangements to catch the detergents.

Caravans and trailers need an "MOT".

Reply to
harry

All coming with "Ever closer union".

Reply to
harry

Nope, they did that stuff before the EEC was even invented.

Reply to
Swer

I see you have never lived in Germany and dont know anyone who has,.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TNP is wrong as usual.

You can hang your washing as long as you don't make a lot of noise doing so.

Or your landlord hasn't banned it.

There isn't a law forbidding it.

Maybe he should try living in Germany for a bit?

Reply to
dennis

I thought the exact reverse. Desperate for work. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I was young and stupid and still living with my parents and brother we had a next door neighbour that would cut his grass at 8am on a Sunday morning.

By a stoke of luck our parents were on holiday and so were the next door neighbours. So me and my brother broke into the neighbours shed, stole the lawn mower and shit on his prized lawn.

Reply to
ARW