New skirting boards

Hi,

I was orginally gonna lay a new wood floor down prior to fitting the skirting boards.

This so the SB's sit on top and hide the cut edges of the flooring.

I'm now gonna go the carpet route. I know i've seen the skirting boards right down at floor level, but would the carpet fitters appreciate the same offset (gap etc) so they could tuck the carpet underneath?

Just thought it'd make for a tidy job.

Thanks

Neil

Reply to
Neil D.

Don't think so. They like to tuck it down parallel to the SB. Make sure your skirting is firmly fixed. That stretcher thing they use tends to put pressure on the bottom edge.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In our extension, in 2 bedrooms, I fitted our pre-painted skirting board surrounds with CSK screws so undersides are about 12mm off top of 19mm chipboard flooring panels. Then the fitted carpets were cut that extra bit longer and wider, and went literally wall to wall. The grip track is still nailed 25mm from (and parallel to) SB. Underlay is not used at edges. The fitter had encountered this preference before and obligingly hid the carpet ends -under- the SBs. It looks better. [I did the same in the bathroom, but undersides 8mm above w-2-w vinyl flooring - to trap it curved up like some hospital floors.] Or you can remove SBs and restore them about 12mm higher after the wall-to-wall fitting! Remember, plastering is not always perfect behind nailed SBs at bottoms of walls, so expect lots of gaps may need to be patched. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory