Dumb question about skirting board...

Is there a standard gap to aim for between the bottom of the skirting board and the floor? I'm assuming there should be some kind of gap to tuck the edge of the carpet under, but articles I've seen about fixing skirting don't seem to mention it...

There's no gap. Where you see one, it's because the floor has dropped.
The carpet is stretched onto a gripper which is spaced just far enough from the skirting board to tuck/wedge the carpet edge down the gap.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Ah, thanks for that. That leads me neatly on to my dumb next question, which is about carpet grippers! I'll start a new thread to keep everything tidy.

No gap. Carpet does not go under the skirting

I don't think there is a "standard" gap. When I recently fitted new skirting, it touched the floorboards in some places and not i others, due to the nature of the old floor boards. As long as its level it doesnt matter.
Carpet doesn't get tucked under skirting, it butts up to it. The carpet grippers are fixed parallel to the skirting on the floor, leaving a small gap (1cm ish) then when carpet is layed it is stretched over the grippers and down into the gap - my very basic understanding!