New Light bulb on it's way.

I prefer not to take adverts as gospel - that's all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't think anybody is...where did that come from?

Reply to
DM

Now that *is* clever - holographic lighting?

Reply to
boltmail

Calling 'high power' LEDs high power for a start. And calling them white.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You mean its, not DIY grammar? I beg your and it's pardon for helping to commaculate the thread.

Reply to
neverwas

Well 1 Watt is high power relative to 1mW of standard LEDs that have been around 30-40 years, and is common terminology in this field, so why would you have a problem with it?

...and when did I call them white?... as I said earlier some posters just seem to enjoy making pedantic statements and then clutching at straws to back up their posts. Take time to read what I've posted rather than what you think I have... another classic newsgroup affliction.

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

Good post. But shirley you meant to write "I beg you're and it's pardon..."

Reply to
edwardwill

Because it's simply adspeak. Most aren't particularly interested in the type of lamp but what it does, when talking about domestic lighting.

I didn't say *you* did. But you asked for examples.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Woohoo - *really* looking forward to spending my weekends flashing the firmware on all the lightbulbs....

Reply to
Steve Walker

It is simply how they are refered to by anybody, from reseachers in the field to the ad men you despise. I'm not aware of any other term in common usage. As I said it is common terminology rather than ad speak.

I wasn't even aware you'd gone off on some tangent regarding adverts.

I don't think anybody takes ads as gospel as you say, and as I said above I've no idea why you shot off on such a tangent.

Reply to
DM

Its a bit more than that, high power LEDs are a very differnt animal to 5mm LEDs, its a differnce that consumers would benefit knowing the differnce in.

White as in having a near continuous spectrum through the visible range, didn`t comment on quality of white which is a philosophical discussion that also applies to all forms of discharge lighting.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby