New Light bulb on it's way.

Mounting LEDs sounds a new quirk ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't worry about it, he used 'but' after a comma.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oops! I think you're referring to the rule about a comma after 'but'. Never mind - nice try.

Reply to
edwardwill

Is this the "rule" that says do not put a comma in front of the parenthetical element when a parenthetical element comes after a coordinating conjunction?

If so it is something I have only ever encountered as a "rule" from American sources; and one which escaped the notice of authors such as Jane Austen who in Pride and Prejudice included to give but 2 examples:

"I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance."

and

"He was beyond comparison the pleasantest man; he certainly admired her, and his situation in life was most eligible; but, to counterbalance these advantages, Mr. Darcy had considerable patronage in the church, and his cousin could have none at all."

Roger Woodham writes (with a nice, subtle example) on the BBC WS site

"A comma (,) generally indicates pauses in speech. But, when it joins two clauses, it indicates a contrast between two ideas. In speech it is normal to draw attention to this contrast by a slight pause. A comma is the usual way of indicating this, although it is not obligatory: a.. Sheila can eat anything and large quantities of it, but she never puts on weight.

b.. I'm going to make some New Year resolutions, but I don't suppose I'll keep them A comma after but would be very unusual, .....

I go along with that as plain English would militate for simpler sentence constructions.

Reply to
neverwas

That's a good answer for development work but how does he propose upgrading them in the field? A small FLASH PLD would probably be a better solution. methinks an ASIC would be overkill.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Oops! I think you're referring to the rule about a comma after 'but'. Never mind - nice try.

Not at all. I know of no rule about a comma AFTER 'but'.

Perhaps you're confused ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There again, I don't know everything.

Do you?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Funnily enough an article just appeared in Photonics Spectra by the guys at Philips Lumileds entitled "Busting Myths About LED reliability".

I've not read this yet, but from a quick scan they are overdriving 1A devices at 1.5Amps and still achieving 10000 hours lifetime,and a drop of about 10% in output at end of life. Thats pretty good going

I suppose most of your comments would probably appear to fall into the Myths category according to the authors :-)

While High Power LEDs aren't quite there yet for most lighting, they are a relatively young technology and it is easy to see the room for significant improvements.

cheers

David

Reply to
DM

That's what I think too - and I believe we should support the R&D. If there's only negative feedback there won't be a demand so the technology won't be improved.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Try here -

- though why I'm doing your primary research for you, God only knows. And in answer to your second question - no, I don't know everything, but I'm pretty sure I know more than you about English usage. I defer to you, however, on lighting.

Reply to
edwardwill

LEDs have been around for well over 30 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Surely all that is saying is that one should avoid *unnecessary* commas after conjunctions. Like most generalisations about the English language, it does not address the various circumstances in which a comma may be necessary or desirable. These are discussed at some length in at least one book available online:

(pages 127-128)

Reply to
neverwas

White and blue are products of the 90`s look up Shuji Nakamura and gallium nitride, high power LEDs in big dice form have only been around since after the millenium.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Excuse me this thread is about lightbulbs not commas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

mark

Reply to
mark

big DIE form. Dice is the plural.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

According to the NSOED (New Shorter Oxford Dictionary) "dice" is also a singular word and has the plural "dices". So there.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

They have indeed, now read slowly with emphasis on the bit that says High Power.

Reply to
DM

We're still waiting for a white one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'd need to define 'high power'. And define the light output from them too. And their life. That is the problem with LEDs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

... and posters who just never want to back down after making pedantic statements is a problem with newsgroups

Reply to
DM