New box. Next step

Quiet in here!

Ok. So I now have the peripherals to power up my re-furbished Dell W11 box.

All my existing software/data is 32 bit W7 as discussed earlier.

What am I going to be able to do without getting in help?

Retaining the old set up (TNP) is not impossible but would create severe space issues on my desk and need to share the display.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You could network and use remote desktop to the old setup.

Reply to
Pancho

Umm. I was reading up on this and Firefox blew up!

Poking round the subject I found *EaseUS Todo PCTrans* which claims to be a free download...

No wi-fi on the old box.

The U tube video on file transfer looked tortuous!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Have you installed Win 11 x64 on the new box?

If so both 32 and 64 bit programs will run. Old 32 bit programs with 16 bit installers will be a problem because x64 won't run 16 bit programs.

There is still very little 64 bit stuff around so most programs are 32 bit.

If you're trying to do something else can you expand?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Either that, or I've let my killfile go hyperactive ...

Outside of thunderbird and firefox, what else does the old one run?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com writes

I've done nothing! This thread is about discovering whether my limited expertise can be stretched to do the job:-)

The refurbished PC has W11 loaded. Original spec. was W10 64 bit

I'm expecting to have trouble using Turnpike but can get help from the users group.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Acrobat Reader, Adobe Photoshop, Google Earth, Chrome, Epson printer/scanner, Open Office, W explorer and all the W7 stuff.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think it's a no-go due to Win11 being 64bit.

Reply to
Andy Burns

So, that's all free stuff? Just do a clean install of them. You'll be done in a few minutes.

You probably want to transfer your documents from the old PC, but that's best done with a USB stick.

I assume that you store your passwords in Chrome, like other sensible people, so those and your bookmarks will be available as soon as you sign into Chrome.

Reply to
GB

USB WiFi Adapters costs buttons. Or if you are flush, get a new WiFi Mesh Style network, with multiple access points. The access points generally have ethernet ports to create a wired connection to the old PC.

Pancho

Download the latest installers for those as far as possible, maybe switch to LibreOffice. Once all apps are running copy your data files over (USB hard drive? Network?) firefox and thunderbird profiles are straightforward.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You'll need new drivers for the Epson devices, downloand from Epson's website.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Somewhere I have the photoshop disc.

Ok.

There are no passwords stored anywhere on this m/c! Particularly not on Google.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ok. I have back ups on a USB hard drive.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Peter Johnson snipped-for-privacy@parksidewood.nospam writes

Ok. Maybe this time round I won't get the *printer connection failures* found with W7.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Sounds like it may be an "old" printer, several manufacturers tried to wash their hands of them after the retirement of WinXP, what model?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sorry - should have spotted that Photoshop was in the list. You may be able to extract any s/n or password from your existing install on the old machine.

I'm happier to use the Google password manager than to rely on pencil and paper or my memory. YMMV, and clearly it does. :)

Incidentally, if Turnpike does not work on W11, you may be able to get a linux version to work, and then run that under WSL2. If that sounds like gobbledegook, then be prepared for some yak shaving.

Reply to
GB

Snip

I'm nervous of such data being stored in a *foreign* country by a company who may one day won't to monetarise the service:-(

Not the end of the world if T'bird will do the job. I believe there is a workaround but not found yet.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Epson ET-2650. Fiddling around usually gets it going.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

ET-2650.

I think I have enough to be going on with the PC swap. First move to power up and gather current versions of my apps!

Before I do anything tricky I must finish my annual accounts!

Reply to
Tim Lamb