Safe Registry cleaner ??????

Can anyone recommend a safe registry cleaner and source of same for Win7 please?
(Background: I've installed Plustek 'OpticBook 3800' scanner software including Book Pavilion and ABBYY Finereader Sprint 9. Works absolutely splendidly scanning pages and converting them to searchable pdf files - or at least did work splendidly until I had a glitch. Now BookPavilion does the scan, kicks off Finereader to convert to pdf's, but instead of being in the back ground Finereader comes up as it's own application, cannot find the scanned data then locks up. Tedious having scanned 80 pages several times !! :(
I've uninstalled, then re-installed the software but it still does the same. Then I've installed it on another pc and it works as it should so I am assuming some flag or other is wrongly set in the registry and not being removed on uninstallation.
Andrew
On 22/12/2014 17:35, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I've only ever used cCleaner from piriform, a registry cleaner is one of the tools.
On 22/12/2014 18:45, newshound wrote:

Although I would say on balance it was safe you should always back things up before open heart surgery on a PC. The registry is a fragile entity and when you have to go in there with a flint axe or chainsaw things can get ugly very quickly with just a minor mistake.
Also make a note of any magic identities or passwords you have stored for websites - it is far too easy for overly zealous cleaners to remove perfectly good cookies that were there to make your life easier...
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You can do a system restore to a restore point before the problem occurred, or before you installed the offending application.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Graham." wrote in message wrote:

Excellent suggestion that has effected a cure - thank you :)
Andrew
Seriously, there is no such thing as safe registry software, however, in your position I'd try some stuff. How long ago did you install it, If its not too long, uninstall it with REVO uninstaller, assuming these are 32 bit apps. Use the most aggressive mode. The good thing about the registry scanner in revo is that it knows exactly what its looking for from the uninstaller. If you then re install and still get issues, then I guess its t time for a system restre to before the first install, which should fix it, but of course anything else installed since will also go away. Lastly, you can try Eusing free registry cleaner, but be warned it is very powerful indeed so do not mess with it. I also do use regedit of course if I know what I'm after, and ccleaner too, but that is very basic registry tweaking.
I usually find that Revo sorts things out though.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> wrote in message
He can, but then he has to install every other thing he installed since. Revo should be your friend, but please if these pieces of software need to work together, uninstall all of them FIRST, before reinstalling any, as the error might well be in one of the others. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Graham." < snipped-for-privacy@privicy.net> wrote in message
e_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> escribió: >I've uninstalled, then re-installed the software but it still does the same.

Uninstall the scanner softweare.
Download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller.
Re-install the scanner software.
Uninstall the scanner software from within Revo Uninstaller, accepting the options to delete registry keys and orphaned program files. Note you explicitly have to check the tick box for the files/keys offered then click "Delete All".
That should do the trick.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
On 22/12/2014 17:35, Andrew Mawson wrote:

That's just an assumption. There might be something else.
You could watch it with Process Explorer (from MS' web site) and see what it's doing.
Andy
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:35:52 -0000, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I use Registry Help Free http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Registry-Help.shtml or Free Window Registry Repair http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Free-Window-Registry-Repair.shtml and have done for several years now with no problems. There's also Argente Registry Cleaner that seems OK the couple of times I've used it http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/Argente-Registry-Cleaner.shtml
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 18:45:34 +0000, newshound wrote:

It's OK but very limited in what it does - perhaps a good thing.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Martin Brown wrote:

I hear this endlessly and it's bollocks, frankly. People talk of the registry as if it's made of myrrh and impossibilium, but it's really fairly straight forward and, in the latest incarnations, almost impossible to delete anything OS related anyway when one's trying.
Assuming the vaguest familiarity with reading and being able to control one's delete finger, it's certainly a damn sight safer to go in and edit it than trust some sort of registry cleaner (which all appear to be Conware anyway.) And zapping a few keys in HKLM/Software/<YourCompanyHere> ain't going to break anything.
Anyway, I reckon the problem is with file type associations.
--
Scott

and ccleaner will back up the registry before making its changes.

+1

+1 But, I have never bothered.

My last system restore that actually worked was on Windows 98. The rest have never worked and yes, it was set up to work.

Then you must have stuffed it up. Mine work fine.

+1 for Ccleaner. It's free and is a tried and trusted registry cleanup tool.
There's no point in using other "registry cleaners". At best, they'll do no more than Ccleaner and, at worst, they can screw things up and, even worse, will claim to have found hundreds of problems requring you to register the program to effect a cure (they're 'payware' or 'ransomware' mis-selling themselves as 'Freeware').
--
J B Good

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 20:26:27 -0000, "Mr Pounder"

System Restore does suffer the inherent weakness of 'fragility'. The problem is the sheer complexity of the problem faced by System Restore. The 'Last Known Good system restore point' can be a real life saver and it can usually do a fair job with recent restore points but the further back in time you have to go, the less likely it will succeed. That's one good reason right there why you should limit the amount of disk space reserved to restore points to a more sane level of a GB or so rather than the default 12% of a 1TB HDD.
The only guaranteed method of restoration is to make boot/system disk image backups[1]. Once you've established your base load of installed apps you can slacken the rate of backups to one a month, perhaps to as few as two or three a year (even a 6 month backup is a better bet than a full install and a shitload of windows service pack updates and hotfixes).
[1] This is one damn good reason to partitition even an SSD into a seperate OS and software disk volume and a seperate user data volume. It lets you concentrate on the OS and apps as a compact disk image backup for speedy restoration (and backup).
--
J B Good

Still got the major downside that its hard to get the size of that partition right and difficult and dangerous to adjust it later unless you can do an image of the entire physical drive before doing that.