Question: Registry Edit Programs

Hi Everyone, I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think that you would mind. Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ? Are they ok to use ? I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what you are doing. REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash the cash or not. Many thanks
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

Is there really an third-party application called regedit? (Regedit is the built-in Windows registry editor).
You might like to try http://safety.live.com/ which redirects to a microsoft site and you will find some tools there. You trust Microsoft not to screw up your computer don't you? You don't mind Microsoft rummaging through your files??? 'corse not.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Well, really you should do something with it as Windows is hopeless at looking after the registry, it just lets it fall to pieces in any old fashion.
But, some of theses 'registry cleaners' are absolute crap and are best left well alone as they are nothign more than a con. I'd be interested in finding out what does what these days, I've not cleaned a registry for years!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Lurch wrote:

Yup, always worth looking for any new program you feel like trying here first:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products
before trying it. As you can see there are a vast number of rouge programs out there.
--
Cheers,

John.

Don't splash cash when there are many tried and tested free variants that do the same job. One thing you may find is that Windows will re- introduce certain keys next time you reboot anyway, so you may find the same ones cropping up time and time again regardless)
One i've found absolutely bulletproof is the one that comes with Crap Cleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com ) - it's not very vicious in operation, but it's all the safer for it.
Crap Cleaner in itself is worth paying for, but it's actually free !
Also try Regseeker - again, had no problems with it, and it's possibly a little more thorough in it's cleaning.
Once you've done that, consider using:
NTregopt from here: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt (which will compact the registry)
JKDefrag from here: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag / (a very nice and thorough defrag program)
On 2007-08-27 00:36:30 +0100, Colin Wilson

.. or buy a Mac ;-)
Andy Hall wrote:

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Listen. It runs Unix.
What more do you need? Even an 11 year old (in Jurassic Park) "knows" it - even under stress - although that was SGI.
Natively, it has all that I need - Apple Mail actually works properly with IMAP (Outlook, well....), and I have a choice of News readers (very important) and even MS Orifice if I want to kill people with Powerpoint (which is rare).
So the bread and butter stuff is handled.
Then if I have to run any legacy applications, I can run either Parallels or VMWare to provide a virtual PC. This has considerable advantages. With the Windows monitor (It isn't an operating system), I can arrange a complete virtual machine with all updates applied and keep a copy of it as an image. When it breaks (with the same inevitability as Peter Parry's Saniflo), I can just dump the offending copy and be back in operation in a couple of minutes.
Alternatively, I can have whichever flavour of Linux I like at the flick of an image.
On the Intel platform, this all runs very well
The market thinks so as well.
I'm really glad that I bought and sold VMWare stock - more than 75% gain in a few days :-)
Andy Hall wrote:

Do you ever stop bragging? We're all aware of your possessions and achievements. Just give it a rest please
On 2007-08-28 08:37:39 +0100, Stuart Noble

No, because it isn't.
You had exactly the same opportunity to invest as I did. Presumably you chose not to. It's not so much an achievement on my part, but a missed opportunity if you didn't. There have been very very few, tech IPOs in recent years so this one was worth backing almost as a matter of principle. So it paid off. I'm not going to feel guilty about that.
Andy Hall wrote:

But how did we get from registry editing to your portfolio? Is there no thread you won't hijack to massage your ego?
On 2007-08-28 19:25:12 +0100, Stuart Noble

There's no hijacking at all. You need to follow the logic.
- Registry editing is only done because the Windows-shit is fundamentally broken. It isn't an operating system but a piece of amorphous junk on crutches. These registry editing products wouldn't be needed if the stupid PoS actually worked properly. At best they are like sticking plaster on an amputation. They will work for a bit, but sooner rather than later, Windows will break to the degree that it isn't worth repair. Actually it wasn't anyway, but let's leave that to the side.
- One could go for Linux, which does, in general, provide a good and stable environment and some reasonable free applications. However, there are difficulties with some distributions in supporting some hardware platforms.
- While I am not an advocate of closed systems, the Mac environment does provide known good hardware and a Unix operating system. Essentially it does what it says on the tin, unlike the Redmond Rubbish. Therefore it's a natural solution to avoid the need to have registry editors, repair programs and all the rest of the crutches. A good alternative to a registry editor, therefore.
- With it so far?
- So the Mac environment gives a much better solution, but inevitably there are a few Wndows apps to run. Enter virtualisation. For the Mac there are two. Until recently, Parallels was the only game in town. Not bad but a few limitations.
- VMWare for the Mac is a new entrant, but it has been around for other platforms for years. It performs better than Parallels. It very neatly gets around the need for registry editors and other repair stuff. When the Windows virtual machine breaks, it can be dumped and replaced in under two minutes. Back up and running. That's a lot more appealing than messing about with registry edtors and fix utilities which always eventually fail.
- Given all of the above, and having bought a copy of VMWare, I discover that the stock is going on the market. This is a more interesting investment opportunity than Premium Bonds or a NatWest money pig., so I buy some.
- It was sold days later at a nice profit so there's no portfolio. This is not a hold stock.
- So the net result is a proper operating environment, ability to run Billyshit in a controlled and painless way and making some money into the bargain. There's no ego in any of that, just a sound set of logical decisions that have worked out rather well.

It's just another of your Mac rants. Logic doesn't come into it.
On 2007-08-29 09:56:52 +0100, Stuart Noble

Have you ever used one?
Andy Hall wrote:

Yes, I'm surrounded by Mac users. It's just a machine that happens to be standard in some industries, that's all. It's not a bloody religion.
On 2007-08-29 17:13:20 +0100, Stuart Noble

Is it that you're feeling oppressed?

To some extent that's true, but is penetrating others very effectively, especially with the Intel platform.

Oh it is... :-) The good thing is that it's easy to be a believer. You can tread the Narrow Way, in the full knowledge that it will lead to Paradise.
Andy Hall wrote:

Let's hope Paradise has sufficient facilities for you
On 2007-08-29 18:51:30 +0100, Stuart Noble

I'm very careful about that.
It's not quite the same as Perfection. That's the one to watch because when you reach it, there's only one way to go.
Andy Hall wrote:

"Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life". Know what I mean?
On 2007-08-30 09:57:56 +0100, Stuart Noble

Indeed it is. That's why so few people have Macs.