Question: Registry Edit Programs

Hi Everyone, I know this is off topic but you're such good bunch on here, I didn't think that you would mind. Does anyone have any experience of programs like REGCURE or REGEDIT ? Are they ok to use ? I know that you shouldn't delve into the registry files unless you know what you are doing. REGCURE test showed 842 errors in my registry today but I couldn't go any further unless I purchased the program. Just wondering if I should splash the cash or not. Many thanks

Reply to
the_constructor

built-in Windows registry editor).

You might like to try

which redirects to a microsoft site and you will find some tools there. You trust Microsoft not to screw up your computer don't you? You don't mind Microsoft rummaging through your files??? 'corse not.

Reply to
Graham.

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:34:21 +0100, "the_constructor" mused:

Well, really you should do something with it as Windows is hopeless at looking after the registry, it just lets it fall to pieces in any old fashion.

But, some of theses 'registry cleaners' are absolute crap and are best left well alone as they are nothign more than a con. I'd be interested in finding out what does what these days, I've not cleaned a registry for years!

Reply to
Lurch

Don't splash cash when there are many tried and tested free variants that do the same job. One thing you may find is that Windows will re- introduce certain keys next time you reboot anyway, so you may find the same ones cropping up time and time again regardless)

One i've found absolutely bulletproof is the one that comes with Crap Cleaner

- it's not very vicious in operation, but it's all the safer for it.

Crap Cleaner in itself is worth paying for, but it's actually free !

Also try Regseeker - again, had no problems with it, and it's possibly a little more thorough in it's cleaning.

Once you've done that, consider using:

NTregopt from here:

will compact the registry)

JKDefrag from here:

very nice and thorough defrag program)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

.. or buy a Mac ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yup, always worth looking for any new program you feel like trying here first:

trying it. As you can see there are a vast number of rouge programs out there.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the machine boots up there are no errors in the Registry. What these so called cleaners call 'errors' is what they determine are redundant entries. Removing what the 'cleaner program' call errors will do absolutely nothing other than reduce the size of the Registry by a few kbs that will have no bearing on performance as these programs often claim.

If you have a Registry problem, that is a message that occurs alerting you to something then deal specifically with that problem, a Registry Cleaner will not do that.

Beware a 'Registry Cleaner' may cause a problem with an installed program. This is because some program require empty Registry entries that the 'Cleaner' may interpret as redundant and safe to remove. While this may not be a 'disaster' depending upon your level of competence to reinstall the program or reverse the deletion process, it is an annoyance.

With regard to your question Regedit is the WINXP registry editor whereas the other program (Regcure) is a so called Registry Cleaner.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

In message , Colin Wilson wrote

Consider also Easycleaner from Toniarts (free)

produces an undo file.

I've been using this program through 3 versions of Windows over many years with no problems.

Reply to
Alan

I cant think of any app that needs to be paid for these days. The range and quality of freeware out there is massive.

Last time I played with a reg cleaner it said it removed a few entries, but Total Uninstall showed it also added around 100 reg entries!! IOW it was counterproductive.

Best way to keep a registry healthy is not to install crap in the first place, and use Total Uninstall 2.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:38:32 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com mused:

In that case, point me towards a fax server for a small network so users can send and receive faxes over IP to\from a server on the network with an analogue modem in it.

Buggered if I can find one.

Reply to
Lurch

EasyCleaner used to be free, but the last time I looked it had turned commercial (you needed to pay a one-off fee, but could then download anything from the site).

It _was_ a good program, but I found some parts were not 100% stable.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Colin Wilson wrote

The site still says that the Easyclean licence is freeware

Alan

I was doing that with Hylafax over 10 years ago. Not needed fax recently, but I see it's still around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hylafax

and winprinthylafax or others if you want to use windows clients

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:08:34 +0100, Owain mused:

Typical, didn;t find that one during extensive Googling and now 2 turn up! The name rings a bell, that's probably what I was looking for originally but didn't actually know.

Just installed ActFax with a licence I acquired, might just keep that for now and stick Hylafax on instead when I reinstall the server sometime over the next few weeks.

Reply to
Lurch

Either way, it can't have had too many updates, as it was on v2 when I

*stopped* using it.
Reply to
Colin Wilson

I dont know, I dont do that. But a good first port of call is news:alt.comp.freeware

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , Colin Wilson wrote

The main program hasn't been updated because it works :) Actually, rather than updating the whole program there is now a blacklist database (a small text file) which contains configuration and/or patches which is updated.

Reply to
Alan

I have discovered the delights of "tun-up

utilitiy and fully functonal for 30 days whicgis u more than enough time o evalua ad gi our P a joly god scrub-up.

Bugger. Wireless Keyboard needs new batts.

Anyway, I's a highly recommended bit of software, and no spyware as it's only a 30 day trial. I'll be forking out the £20 for 2 copies when the trial ends.

Pete

--

Equipment, Punch Bags, Boxing gloves etc
and stuff

Reply to
gymratz

Would you employ a damp remedial agent who had told you that there were

842 damp problems in your house?

Reinstall windoesn't

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher