Question: Registry Edit Programs

And enjoy a beautifully crafted, but ultimately unusable computer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You obviously DID NOT buy a Mac then ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You haven't found many torrent sites then, I see :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I've often wondered whether my defragmenter actually *does* anything, or just draws prettier pictures the less frequently I run it.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Listen. It runs Unix.

What more do you need? Even an 11 year old (in Jurassic Park) "knows" it - even under stress - although that was SGI.

Natively, it has all that I need - Apple Mail actually works properly with IMAP (Outlook, well....), and I have a choice of News readers (very important) and even MS Orifice if I want to kill people with Powerpoint (which is rare).

So the bread and butter stuff is handled.

Then if I have to run any legacy applications, I can run either Parallels or VMWare to provide a virtual PC. This has considerable advantages. With the Windows monitor (It isn't an operating system), I can arrange a complete virtual machine with all updates applied and keep a copy of it as an image. When it breaks (with the same inevitability as Peter Parry's Saniflo), I can just dump the offending copy and be back in operation in a couple of minutes.

Alternatively, I can have whichever flavour of Linux I like at the flick of an image.

On the Intel platform, this all runs very well

The market thinks so as well.

I'm really glad that I bought and sold VMWare stock - more than 75% gain in a few days :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't you believe it.

There's loads of freeware for OS/X

If not, virtualise. It's the way of the future.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed.

There's bucket loads of stuff for OS/X and generally good quality as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There you are you see. Should have bought a Mac.

You know it's the way forward.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you ever stop bragging? We're all aware of your possessions and achievements. Just give it a rest please

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Technically, it's not, of course. Neither is FreeBSD.

I'd rather run real FreeBSD; a lot cheaper, and I don't have to get involved with Apple.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You're showing signs of lack of observation, again.

The header of TNP's post shows "Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (Macintosh/

20070728)"
Reply to
Steve Firth

I know. I am posting on one as I write.

Application software beyond graphics design would be a start.

Ability to run my scanner and polotter would be an added bounus. This one can't do either.

? so waht ?

Exactly, if thats *all* you need its a nice, if overpriced toy.

Man does not live by bread alone...

Not on a G4 you can't.

This isn't an intel platform ;)

No, it doesn't.

So you can run windows on a mac. Why not just run windows?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The aqua interface is the best part of the mac.

Thats not free.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sadly none of it did what I wanted..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

:) I just enjoy the brokenness of windows. Occasionally.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Took me 6 hours to install a vurtual windows machine on this mac. ran about like windows 2 did on an 8086.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Defraggers are for testing hardware. If you have any bad RAM a defrag should screw the fs up royally. That MS defrag doesnt check RAM first is typical of MS.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Oh it probably does defrag, but so what? with enough disk cache ram, it gets less and less relevant,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

True...but then I spend a lot of my time using the command line! Started off on UNIX and UNIX-like systems long before GUIs...

Reply to
Bob Eager

"Bob Eager" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

Well, it is. Or more accurately, will be - as and when you get 10.5 (aka Leopard). See:

Reply to
Richard Perkin