Lidl ultrasonic cleaner

I bought one of these recently and today got around tuit, to try polishing my polycarbonate lensed glasses. Using warm water and a non foaming universal cleaner detergent. The lenses had developed very bad smearing characteristics which repeated cleaning wouldn't shift. The results were very good. The smearing was removed and my vision enhanced. I used 2 sessions of 90 seconds each as the container is too small to accept my wide spectacle frames. I'll try it on her jewelry next. The minimum timer setting is 90 seconds, the max is 480. The OFF button can be used for shorter times.

Reply to
Capitol

Beware of removing any anti-reflective coatings, maybe this only happens if there's already 'invisible' damage to the coatings ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

These lenses are uncoated.

Reply to
Capitol

Why would it remove the coatings?

Abrasion may do but that isn't the process.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Interesting to know.

I saw that ultrasonic cleaner in Lidl a few weeks back and was sceptical that the thing worked at all, so I passed it up.

A few years ago I tried a ?30 cleaner on some jewellry but it was useless and reviews I read later suggested most cheap ultrasonic cleaners were equally poor.

Reply to
pamela

pamela expressed precisely :

Mine is an Aldi/Lidl one bought many years ago and it works well. The do not polish, they just remove any dirt on the surface and in crevices of the item. I use warm water and a drop or two of Fairy liquid. I can often see the dirt flowing out of some items.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I think mine came from Maplins, it is OK but certainly not as good as the "lab" one which I used to use at work.

Reply to
newshound

Some of the really cheap ones aren't ultrasonic- they have little motor type vibrators. I can think of cases they may be useful but for times you want an ultrasonic, they are almost certainly useless.

I have an Aldi one, although I've seen similar ones sold by Lidl etc.

I've not compared it 'side by side' to a professional one but it has always done the jobs asked of it.

Part of the problem is suitable solvents. When I worked in engineering, the ultrasonic tank area was stocked with several solvents.

At home, you are limited to those readily available- perhaps limited by H&S rules etc. or the fact some solvents can only be got in large volumes.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I got an Aldi one, never found it much use. Dishwashers are far more effect ive.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The process is cavitation generating huge temps and pressures albeit highly localised. It will readily put holes in AL foil and if left long enough dull the surface of stainless steel.

Now I've not tried with anti-reflective coatings but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were damaged eventually.

Reply to
jimzzr