Wolfcraft "workmates" - any got one of these?

Master Cut 1000 Workbench

My old B&D Workmate is dying. Came across the above and it looks pretty handy with the ability to mount jigsaws, circular saws and routers, as well as what looks like (as far as I can see in the pictures) a fairly versatile clamping system.

Just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I have one (or at least one similar). Mine calls itself a "Multi-purpose work and machine table", it's model number 6165 which doesn't appear to be available now but you get lots of hits for accessories for it. I just did a search for "Wolfcraft Master Cut

1000 Workbench" and, yes, that looks just like mine.

My feeling is that it's OK[ish] but could be a lot better. I have used it as a saw table (with my Skill Classic saw) and it's OK for that. I've not really exercised the router accessories.

My main problems with it are that it's not very rigid, especially 'across the frame' as it were and that all the accessory bits and pieces stick out in awkward places and make it less useful as a straightforward bench because whenever you try and clamp something to it there's something in the way.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask, my E-Mail here is valid if you want to use that.

Reply to
tinnews

No personal experience of this one, but it's a bit cheaper at Machinemart:

might find it's a bit of a throwback to the days of multiple attachment changing - drill + sander / saw / etc. = a bit of a pain to use.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Got the same one from Screwfix - for me, with very limited storage then it's a good useful workbench. I've used mine both as a 1/2" router table and a saw bench using a circular saw. Like Chris says, it's not the most stable of things in the world, but provided you don't take the pee with it and what you're working with then it holds its own.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Mike Dodd coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks to everyone. It can't be much worse than the old B&D I've been using for stability - and old plastic sawhorses on bricks to support long lenghts. I don;t expect much so I'm probably going to be happy with this. It's the clamping versatility (or lack of) that's been biting me with the B&D and the top's dying (water damage) and the jaws never open enough to clamp anything useful in them...

It could certainly solve a lot of problems like being a simple router table, and sawbench for the next couple of years until I build my shed :)

I'll keep the B&D as a secondary support and mitre saw bench - it's OK for that as I've screwed the saw down to the top.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Mike Dodd coughed up some electrons that declared:

BTW I just watched the video on their website. Nice to see it will work with all the green Bosch cutting implements I already have ;->

Typical German bloke - all his tools arranged neatly on shelves!

Bet he earnt a jolly good seeing to from the wife for all those things he made...

Reply to
Tim S

Not of that, but I have one of these

which I find brilliant.

Built like a brick outbuilding, big clamping range, fast clamping & you can run a router or circ saw along the guides on the inside of the jaws.

Since they have brought out a turbo nutter bastard version

third one down.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'kin *how much* !

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "R" saying something like:

'kin exactly! And look at the price of the bare steel bench.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I didn't think £125 was unreasonable for the workbench mentioned. A quick google will find where they are this price as the draper catalogue price is grossly inflated.

Reply to
dennis

The one I bought was the 800 & it was around £60.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Eh? I'm referring to the four hundred pounds Sterling one.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I believe I am also referring to that one.

Reply to
dennis

tHEY ARE BRILLIANT

Reply to
brianjford55

In the 7 years that have passed he may have made his own mind up.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

And they are no longer sold.