New boiler question

I plan to have my old back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler. My plumber has said that there are new regulations coming out (April next year?) that say that all new boilers fitted must be of the condensing type. He says that although these are supposed to be more efficient he prefers the existing type that he currently uses and has advised me to get one while I still can. I think the model was a Worcester Bosch 28i. I'm concerned that if these current ones are soon to be banned that maybe there's a good reason. What are the pros and cons? Is there any difference in the price of the boiler or installation?

Thanks Nodge

Reply to
Nodge

In article , Nodge writes

Plumbers seem to prefer non-condensing boilers because it's what they are used to... I had a terrible job finding someone to install a condensing boiler for me. They really are more efficient though and in my opinion worth the extra cost.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Find a better plumber. He's not paying the fuel bills - you are.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm fairly innovative is my approach partly because my income is only partly from heating and gas work. However many fitters are very conservative due to very plausible reasons. Mainly that there is little to gain and much to lose by changing form a tested approach to an untried one.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Condensation boilers are tried and tested. I read the nice quote that the Netherlands are about 10 years ahead of us with the installed base of condensation boilers. Might be true for other areas as well ;-)

The main problem with condensation boilers is just this: condensation. You need to have a location for the boiler where the externally discharged condensation is not going to bother your neighbour. Not always easy when you don't have a garden.

Fred

Reply to
Fred