Neon in two switches question

We have an arrangement (uk.d-i-y passim) for switching the fan on in the bathroom.

There is a humidistat with a pull switch so you can have the fan come on when the humidity is high, or you can force it on when the atmosphere needs clearing.

There is a second unit - a run on timer - which is activated by power from the humidistat so that whatever switches the fan on (humidity or switch) via the humidistat the timer then runs on after the power is switched off again.

Same components and set up in two bathrooms.

This all works fine.

However the humidistat has a neon and the run on timer has a neon. I would expect both to come on when there is power via the humidistat and then the humidistat neon to go off, followed a while later by the timer neon.

However the humidistat neon never comes on, although the timer neon always comes on.

The importance of the humidistat neon is to indicate if the humidistat is still powered on (for instance if you have used the pull switch then not turned it off) or if the run on timer is all that is keeping the fan on.

All wired in by our sparky, who generally seems to know what he is doing, but can't think why the neon isn't working.

It seems unlikely that it is a faulty unit as we have two units and both show the same behaviour.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Obviously not a system if there are blind users about then. grin. Surely you should not be able to set things so things can get damaged. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The shower isolator pull cord in my bathroom had a mechanical tell-tail as well as a neon. it could so easily have been designed with a grove to be tactile.

I just checked, it isn't.

Reply to
Graham.

It might be a quirk of how it is wired if no neutral is available at the humidistat contacts. Your choice then is to put the neon across the switch and have the neon lit only when the switch is open!

My guess is no neutral available at the humidistat.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Are you suggesting that the humidistat may be on T&E like a light switch with live coming down one wire and back up the other?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Yes. I have a similar problem with a CH pump override switch.

Reply to
Martin Brown