PV installers damaged CU

PV system was installed in January. Small company - very satisfied with the installation.... but now ...

I didn't notice until quite recently that the electrician didn't have a one-for-one fitting MCB (16A) and had used whatever he had in the van. The box takes Merlin Gerins, and the 'bodged' in one was clearly a mismatch causing distortion to the cover.

Two weeks ago I got a MG replacement to swap out the mismatching one, and found that in order to get his MCB to fit the electrician had trimmed back the lug on the input copper busbar. Although the MG one seems to have a sufficient clamp on the reduced lug, I am concerned about this.

I've been in contact with the company and the electrician has admitted that he had to use another MCB type as he couldn't get an MG one, and he may have cut back the lug. I have said I would like an independent opinion on whether there is a hazard at their expense, but he is insisting that the company should be allowed to rectify matters themselves.

Collectives opinion please.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Whats wrong with letting him come and fit a new busbar?

Reply to
dennis

If he bodged the original job (and kept quiet about it) why have any faith he's going to do it right now ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

My PV panels were installed by bodgers also. The electrician was an NVQer. I had to go on the roof myself to show him how it was wired, perfectly straightforward from the instruction book!

Next time it rains, get in your roof space and look for leaks. Mine leaked, they had to come back and take the lot off and refit.

Don't worry, you have the whip hand, they can loose their licence if you report them. Insist that the busbar is replaced and a proper MCB fitted.

Never heard of Merlin Gerins. Most MCBs are interchangeable. You might even need a new CU if they can't get the parts.

Reply to
harry

Well if they have owned up why not, but does make you wonder why they simply did not say it was an issue and try to find what they needed in the first place. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because the OP will be hoovering over his left shoulder making sure he does? All they need is a replacement bus bar, the OP already has the correct MCB.

The company ought to be obtaining and fitting the busbar for free and reimbursing the OP for the MCB he sourced and bought. The former should happen without fuss, the latter will have to be asked for and may well produce a "discussion".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Merlin Gerin is now Schneider Electric

Reply to
polygonum

Let them fix it. You have the prerequisite nous to know if they do it right ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Some of the MG CU kit however I have been pretty underwhelmed by in the past.

Which may suggest that Schneider are not being too choosy with acquisitions

(I have always rated the GET Ultimate range of accessories, and Schneider appear to have acquired them).

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd let them back in to finish the job by replacing the lug/busbar and the MCB.

Not all tradesmen will admit their guilt.

Reply to
Fredxx

One of the wholesalers used to do them as their "own brand" IIRC, but they never seemed that common. I have had run ins with them in the past and noted some nice quirks like MCBs that switch on mechanically 100% of time, but electrically only 50% etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Merlin Gerins are very common in industrial use - so no idea why harry has not seen them.

Reply to
ARW

That's interesting about replacement busbars - that's presumably so that the protected and unprotected distribution can be changed.

Unfortunately this was not what one would call a mainstream CU (Control Gear Direct) and replacement busbars do not seem to be on their website. I'll try their sales and see what I can get.

Many thanks for your help.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Used to be huge in contactors.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Probably because he left industry a few decades ago... probably when open frame knife switches were the latest cutting edge technology.

Reply to
The Other Mike

En el artículo , harry escribió:

They're only one of the biggest suppliers of MCBs in the world. Now owned by Schneider Electric.

No, they're not, and even if you find one that fits without the need to modify the busbar, you may well find the CU cover won't go back on.

MG breakers are freely available and easily found. The OP's sparky was too idle to go and find one so he bodged the job instead.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson