manrose fan humidistat / timer

Anyone used one of these:

does the run-on timer interact with the humidstat ?

I assume the humidistat is always "active" but when the run-on timer trigger switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

these:

> How does the run-on timer interact with the humidstat ?

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

i would expect so otherwise it wouldn't be a "run on" timer would it? if it didn't the smell of "Richards" would hang around and defeat the point of having a fan?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

these:

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

Sorry I don't think I was precise enough

A Humidistat-on, timer-on, FAN ON B Humidistat-off, timer-on = FAN ON (to expel the R-the-3rds) C Humidistat-on, timer-off ? D Humidistat-off, timer-off FAN OFF

It is case C I am wondering about.

If this case is FAN OFF, it would avoid the problem of atmospherics triggering the fan all day.

If it is FAN ON, it would ensure a dry enough room whatever the run-on period.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

the fan all day.

Surely, if case C was FAN OFF then there is no point having the humidistat since it will then be controlled entirely by the timer, timer-on FAN ON, time-off FAN OFF.

Reply to
Andrew May

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

Yes, I've got a similar one in a rental. If you set the timer to, say,

10 mins then after you've left the bathroom and turned the light out then the fan stays on for 10 mins come what may. If it's then still humid, the fan will stay on as long as it takes to get below the preset humidity level (and will then cut in and out indefinitely if the humidity goes up or down, before the next person uses the bathroom).

FWIW in case you aren't aware, I replaced a standard extractor fan in the ceiling with a Manrose humidistat version on a like-for-like basis, with no need for wiring up a remote sensor (and I think it cost less than this sensor as well)

Reply to
Lobster

triggering the fan all day.

Yes, unless the humidistat overrode the fan when the humidity rose across the activation threshold, but let the run-on timer switch if off whilst the humidity remained high. I suppose the unit will never be that complicated, so case C is the start condition anyway, in which case the humidistat must be the "master". Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

I've already got a blocked-up vent in the ceiling which I need to connect up and vent through the roof. And no hole in the wall ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

My expectation is that the fan would run whenever the humidity was above the threshold regardless of room occupancy, PLUS while the switched live (usually the room light) is on and for a set period after that is switched off.

Think of it as two switches in parallel - a timer switch and a humidity switch. The fan runs when either or both switches are on.

This seems to be backed up by the installation instructions (which I was going to quote, but am having difficulty copying text from the PDF file!)

Reply to
Roger Mills

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

and vent through the roof.

So surely you just want exactly what I fitted then, ie AFAICS something like this:

Lobster

these:

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

Fan on...

Either can run the fan.

the fan all day.

Not much use for clearing steam from a shower without the lights on though...

Reply to
John Rumm

triggering the fan all day.

activation threshold, but let the run-on timer switch if off whilst the humidity remained high.

condition anyway, in which case the humidistat must be the "master".

Just visualise the stat and the timer being wired in parallel to the same fan. They are in effect in a wire inclusive "or" configuration - the fan will run whenever one or other or both deem that it should.

Reply to
John Rumm

switch is removed (e.g. light switch off), does the run-on timer override the humistat ?

Assuming it works much the same as my Vent-Axia

The two act independently.

If the light switch is on long enough to start the run-on then the run-on stays on until it times out. The humidistat switches on when it gets damp and stays on until it considers the air all-clear.

Reply to
djc