Need a toilet quick, what do you recommend?

Hi

We need a toilet fitting into a downstairs room for an elderly member of our family. Nothing special, just a basic toilet but we are not sure whether to go for a saniflow or a normal toilet.

As it happens, the house was extended before we purchased it and the main sewage outlet pipe from the upstairs toilets runs down the corner of the same room where the toilet needs to be. It's all boxed off at the moment but I'm wondering if we could plumb the new toilet into that outlet

Also, would someone give me an idea of the sort of price we can expect to pay for a sniflow or a conventional toilet to be supplied, fitted and connected to this existing waste pipe?

thanks

Pete

Reply to
LongJohn

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:21:38 GMT, "LongJohn" mused:

Forget the Saniflo, especially if the proper route is as easy as you say.

Reply to
Lurch

it all

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not a Saniflow, unless you like fixing them... Go conventional if at all possible, since they at least work when the power fails.

I've no current prices but check for local authority grants to modify a house for an elderly person's use, assuming they are living there. At least it should be VAT free and you can get your council tax down a band if you meet the requirements for "necessary modifications".

Worked for me - twice...

Reply to
JohnW

Almost certainly

To comply with building regs you may need an extractor fan and a washbasin. A small electric (3kW) handwash can save running hot water to the location. Not sure if the work is notifiable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks John, I'll contact the council

Reply to
LongJohn

OK. Will someone be able to hack into the existing pipework then?

Reply to
LongJohn

The person it's for is living here and 86 and leaking badly. Would wel be eligable for a grant? I suppose it depends on the council.

How would I get it VAT free, via a council rebate?

Reply to
LongJohn

worth asking at the council.

Do you have anyone involved from social services at the council? They have people who can advise on what you might be entitled to claim for this sort of thing. An elderley person I know was helped to get the right adaptations installed from proper companies - not sure if they had to pay or not but the work was well done and organised quickly.

Reply to
Mogga

The supplier simply invoices it as "Vat Free for disabled person" if you give them an eligibility declaration. There are strict conditions attached to the scheme; see

or

search hmrc.gov.uk for Vat notice Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:01:22 GMT, "LongJohn" mused:

I would have thought so. If there is an accessible stack nearby then it shoudl be possible. If you are getting someone in to do the job then I'd get some quotes in, it's a lot easier to say a defnite yes or no when you're stood on site looking at the job than trying to visualise it from someones description on a newsgroup.

Reply to
Lurch

My parents have had a variety of house adaptations implemented - stair lift, grab rails in various places, pneumatic gizmo for raising people out of the bath and so on. These were predominantly organised and paid for entirely or partly by the local authority social services department. Policies probably vary from area to area, but anything involving access to or use of a toilet gets a very high priority.

Reply to
Andy Hall

or

Contacting the local VAT office is helpful, although the rules are clear anyway.

There are some practicalities though.

If a non VAT registered contractor is chosen, he won't be charging VAT on his work anyway. OTOH, he would typically be buying materials from merchants and would be charged VAT. Realistically, that would be passed on to the customer because said merchant is probably not geared up to handle VAT exemption stuff - don't know the procedures therefore hassle.

It may be worth asking the local authority or perhaps some care homes for details of contractors who do work for them. These will probably be of a size to be VAT registered and will certainly know how to process the paperwork correctly.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nobody needs a saniflo.

Yes.

300-400 or a half a million for the saniflo.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks everyone

Reply to
LongJohn

Others have given pointers to the regulations. Social services are the first point of call for grants and benefits. They will automatically get involved after a hospital stay - providing the hospital don't forget to request it (some advice

- play dumb. Don't be too keen to DIY. Keep asking for advice and help...) Don't forget, though, that budgets may impact decisions so apply early and keep re-applying, especially if things change.

Also try your doctor/practice nurse who may have links into local help providers, including respite organisations and charities - you need help too.

As an example, I ordered several aids, like hand rails and access aids, only to have them provided and installed free, after a home assessment. We also got things like a Zimmer, toilet height adjusters, medical/incontinence aids, special bedding and the like.

We funded a downstairs bedroom conversion with shower, washing facilities and new toilet suite all VAT free on signing a simple declaration form. Likewise with mobility aids, where the forms were suppled by the web vendors.

I applied to the council for CT rebates and, after another form asking about the modifications and, I think, a doctors counter-signature, got twice reassessed down a band over several years in both England and Scotland. This step wasn't widely published - I think I got the information off the web somewhere.

It's always worth asking first - We found Social services very forthcoming with the information - and were ready to fill-in their own forms for benefits :-) I remember one getting knocked back but the Social worker appealed it and we got it...

Reply to
JohnW

Thanks everyone

Is it possible to get the work done and then put in a claim? We are concerned at how long the whole process may take.

thanks

Is it

Reply to
LongJohn

I would call them and ask and at least stick in the application rather than making the move and then expecting them to stump up the money.

Make it clear to them that the requirement is urgent and see what the reaction is. Then if they are not responsive, you can take a decision to do your own thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

I don't know about this particular instance but I have been led to believe in the past that you always needed to get a grant application approved before commencing work even if the purse holders won't cough up until the work is finished.

Reply to
Roger

Just go behind the bushes. Everyone's cat does already.

Reply to
NRH