Need a toilet quick, what do you recommend?

That could well be true. My point was that there may be a better chance by at least entering an application before doing and stressing the urgency. Doing before saying anything is less likely to produce the desired outcome.

Having said that, this is the classic distress purchase, and probably there isn't an option to hang around waiting for bureaucracy. Therefore the situation is really about possibly getting something and probably getting nothing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

thanks everyone, you have been a great help

Reply to
LongJohn

thanks for all the help

I spoke tried the council. It took several hours to get past the answer phone / automated message system defences. I then got passed around quite a bit. In the end the person I spoke to didn't seem to be very knowledgeable but said grants were not available and they didn't know about VAT - no use at all.

Age concern didn't know about VAT but they did give me the number for the local Home Improvement Agency which they say arrange grants for disabled facilities but they said it takes a long time and can't usually be claimed retrospectively.

Seems to be proving very difficult to get any help with this. Nothing new there I suppose; governments announce these fantastic aid packages for budget headlines then make it deliberately difficult to get. Expect we'll just have to pay the full amount.

Reply to
LongJohn

Did you go direct to Social Services department? I suspect you used the wrong words :-) Try "Disabled facilities grant" - see the web-page below.

Try the Help the Aged site:

. If you are in Scotland, then it is handled by Age Concern and they know about it. From looking at the Age Concern websites, I notice that England seems to allow less then Scotland - my last modification was in Scotland...

The VAT issue is dealt with by giving the supplier a declaration such as:

I (full name) ...... Of(address)......

Declare that: I have a disabling condition by reason of ... (give full and specific description of the condition)

I attach a certificate from my doctor/physiotherapist/nurse.

The ..... is for personal needs and use or for use by a member of my immediate family or person who provides care for me.

I claim zero rating relief from value added tax. (Here you can quote the rel event HMCE rule, which I leave you to look up)

Signature Date

(or a similar third-party version if necessary)

Keep a copy and give one to the supplier.

You may have to use a non-DIY installation, though, since the installation company may be more able to reclaim the VAT on supplies as part of their finances (and enjoy doing it...) than a standard builder's merchant. Some even have their own forms... For my last job I used a bathroom fitter since looking after someone reduced the time available for DIY and they had no problem with the VAT issue. You could try asking at a builder's merchant, etc. but the counter staff may not be clued up if they don't normally deal with end-users.

Reply to
JohnW

I do believe I phoned the correct department at the council but my call was re-routed a number of times so not quite sure where I ended up.

Thank you John. You have been a great help.

Reply to
LongJohn

Par for the course - Most help we've had was when the alternative was an extended hospital stay or relocation to a nursing home :-) Once you get on Social's books they are most helpful.

No problem - I notice the site to which I directed you states that the installation must be done by a VAT registered company

- so they can allow the VAT reclaim through their books. I just got the one I used to obtain some necessary extras for me to install on their account...

Reply to
JohnW