Need 50 slick-looking sheets of letterhead [OT]

The message from Steve Firth contains these words:

Scrape them off, Jim!

Reply to
Guy King

Thank goodness you're not a doctor!

Reply to
John Cartmell

As a lifelong resident of Twickenham I used to look through the Church Street window as a younger teenager and think how wonderful it would be to have one of their machines and be able to print things (though I'm not quite sure what I wanted to print). If you had told me then what printing abilities would be available to almost anyone

30 years on then it would have seemed like science fiction. Our SuperBeam program used to carry the disclaimer (removed on legal advice) "If you don't know what you're doing, this program will help you design dangerous structures even more quickly". I guess the same is true of DTP!
Reply to
Tony Bryer

The message from Dave contains these words:

Some people reckon it's wonderful but I can't stand it. Never does what I expect it to when I expect it to do it. About the second least intuitive piece of software I've ever used.

Reply to
Guy King

You mean the Intel processor?

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, I'm talking about the company spun off from Acorn in 1990.

Reply to
Mary Pegg

She means the range of processors designed by Acorn/Advanced RISC Machines some of which Intel (amongst others) have a licence to produce - ironically because they lost a court case against a third party!

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yes if you are happy doing your own designing on the PC. A good local copy/print shop should be able to run off a small number with excellent results on a colour copier. A decent shop will be able to take your design from disk/usb storage device directly rather than you have to print it out on a inkjet, not really a lot of point laser copying an inkjet image unless you are going to tweak it with the copier.

If the design is good then a lot is dependent on the weight of paper used a decent weight paper not 80g will give a very professional finish. Check what different papers the shop can provide other than bog stndard white and colours.

A third alternative is if you know someone with a colour laser printer then ask them to do it or lend you it. Probably easier to get them to do it if they are willing.

Reply to
John Patrick

Be careful doing things like this.

Once when running out of letterhead I went to a franchise colour copying place and had 50 copies of our letterhead made. Quite expensive in those days.

It was all fine till we tried to use it in our office laser printer &/or copier (a seperate beast).

The fuser remelted the inks and made a big mess.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:20:20 GMT, Mary Pegg managed to type:

It works fer me. Anyone want a deep-fried-microwave-grilled and buttered banana milkshake with almonds?

Reply to
Gran

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:17:20 +0100, Guy King managed to type:

Wondered if anyone would mention MS Publisher. Not bad in a kinda clunky, friendly quick-knock-it-up way. I *like* it when in a hurry.

Oddly enough, I like using Excel for most things ... database, Word Processing, layouts and presentations ....

If I had to have just one MS Office product it would be Excel ...

Reply to
Gran

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:44:37 +0100, Steve Firth managed to type:

Try K for Kohl ............

Reply to
Gran

Well I thought that to. But apparently according to Wikipedia it stands for Key which is shorthand or Key Plate and comes from the idea that the key plate impressed the artistic detail of an image, usually in black ink. So he is right :)

Reply to
Amanda Angelika

I suppose it could have applications in Space

Reply to
Amanda Angelika

Hardly. For some tasks it is the best one for the job. I use PCs in the business for what they are good at and RISC OS for where that is the best. We have 4 RISC OS and 2 PCs, one of which is a laptop running Virtual RISC OS. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Good idea. Last time I did a series of box ads for my business in local paper I used handwriting instead of fonts, with a scribbled margin decoration. It stood out like a beacon amongst all the smart-arsey graphics and crap printers jobs, got very noticed and worked really well as publicity.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

Didn't Intel get SrongARM it becasue they WON their case against DEC?

Reply to
August West

But they only got the licence to use. ARM still own and develop ARM designs. Intel have their input into the designs - and naming conventions - and it shows in the poorer implementation in X-Scale processors.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Amongst all the computers that people use, but do not realise they are using, Microsoft is never ever found.

Embedded processors outnumber desktops by an order of magnitude, and they run on RISC chips mainly, and various oddball OS'es. Its not that hard to roll your own after all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh. You mean DEC won?

That's rather oversimpyfying the case. (I work for a competing micro core IP company).

Reply to
August West