Slick Plane

I picked up a slick plane at a woodworking store some time ago. It has a pair of round cutters that are used to knock the sharp edge off a board. It works great. I planed some 2x stock flat and square using my power planer, then used the slick plane to take the sharp edges off.

I figure by the time I was about halfway done I would have had the router out and bit installed, then would have had all the boards to do.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:554c28ff$0$29449$b1db1813$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

An unfortunate choice of name, since in woodworking a "slick" is something else entirely. Pity they didn't just call it a roundover plane, since that's what it is.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

i thought it was either a name brand or an adjective

i have not heard a slick mentioned in woodworking context

like a strop or no

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:mij23l$2j3$3 @dont-email.me:

No, a slick is a big wide chisel with a long handle. They're used for shaping big timbers by shipwrights and such like folk.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

ok i think i have seen one of those

i just watched a good video (all in finnish) and a group of guys made a real nice cozy looking log cabin from the ground up

including measuring/selecting/downing/hauling the trees

they worked like a collective machine a lot of fun to watch

Reply to
Electric Comet