Need 50 slick-looking sheets of letterhead [OT]

This is slightly off-topic.
I live in London. Can you people here help me with getting a small volume of preprinted stationery. I want to get some A4 paper with coloured letterhead so that some letters look very formal as if they come from a small to medium organisiation. There is no faking or false status involved.
I need 50 "first" pages which would have a logo and various preprinted items on the page and then 100 "second pages" which would come from the same paper stock and which may or may not have preprinted items.
What is the cheapest or best way to get this?
The letters are going to be sent to people who are used to receiving such corespondence so letterheads produced by a doemstic laserjet (with its slightly patchy shading of blocks of colour) is not going to look right.
The volumes I need seem a bit too low to trouble a commercial printer for.
Do you think I get the results I want by making a design on my own PC and taking it to a pro copy shop that has something like colour laser printing. I have heard of Kinko but never used them.
What other options should I consider?
Jim
--

posted to...
uk.finance
Jim wrote:

A commercial printer should do any volume, but the costs per ream will be prohibitive, especially for four- or six-colour work.

Colour laser is (pretty much) colour laser.
Depending on exactly what you need on first and continuation pages, it might be possible (and a lot cheaper) to get pages colour printed with the logo, which will do for both first and continuation pages, then overprint the sender's address on the first pages using a template set up in the word processor. This technique is used by quite a lot of large organisations, councils etc.
Otherwise there are the generic printed papers from Papers Direct etc, that you overprint with your own address.
Owain

No, very off-topic
Jim wrote:

www.vistaprint.co.uk
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Err Dreamweaver isn't appropriate at all. It's a web design package.
In typed:

Why? That's a Web design Package :) Actually he'd probably be better off with MS Office Word for designing a letterhead, in fact it even has Wizards for this job, so even someone totally inexperienced with design could create a professional looking letterhead :)
--
Amanda

Amanda Angelika wrote:

A matter of opinion...YOU try floating a gif *behind* some text in WORD.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Umm make the text a text box without a border bring it to the front, align it with the GIF as desired, group them and position the group as required.
Format the GIF as "behind text"
As a start.
In typed:

Well you just Go to Format Picture go to the Layout tab and set the behind text option, alternatively if you have your text in a text box you can remove the default fill and border and float text on top of a GIF that way.
Admittedly It is a bit clunky as a DTP program because it is primarily a word processor and designed to deal with inline text and graphics by default. But if you change the format options of graphics and text boxes so they don't behave inline you can drag and drop things any where you want and arrange their order to, you can also flow text between text boxes and change their design to. So it's quite sophisticated and certainly can be used for DTP it's just not very intuitive to use and the default styles are not particularly helpful, so it can be fiddly to use and a bit frustrating on times.
Generally I prefer Corel Draw for most DTP type projects However I have used Word for designing Posters and flyers for people when I haven't had anything else to hand, it can be done :) Of course MS Word would be a lot better if it wasn't made by Microsoft :)
--
Amanda

I find Corel Draw really unpleasant to use, for posters and flyer type stuff try Corel Xara, for which there is a quite usable free version, and far, far, far better than using Word.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Corel Xara was a development of ArtWorks originally produced by Computer Concepts for the RISC OS (Acorn) computers. Computer Concepts (now Xara) have taken back the program from Corel and market it themselves as Xara X, without the 'Corel' tag. A version of Xara is being produced for a number of platforms (not Windows) free but you can still purchase the Windows version from Xara. The original ArtWorks is still being developed as ArtWorks2 by MW Software for the RISC OS machines.
www.xara.com www.xaraxtreme.org www.mw-software.com

Yep, I must have been one of the first purchasers, back in ooh, err, when did it first come out? Still got the Art Works and Impression dongles . . . and an A540.
Then used Corel Xara for years, but couldn't get it to work under XP, so kept a Win2k machine specially for it.

There was a free Windows version with the Feb 2006 PC World magazine which is where I found it again, hadn't noticed the Corel tag had gone though. I hope it's a success.
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

And very fine it is too. As is DrawWorks Millennium. Both of these keep me with RISC OS and even if I do go for a PC for browsing and A/V stuff I'll still go back to them for technical drawing type tasks.
--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Those interested in the RISC OS side might like to know that the latest version of ArtWorks runs (very) happily with the new A9home computer and that Martin Wuerthner (MW Software) is releasing even more 'good stuff' for ArtWorks at the Wakefield Show next month.
Those with interest in other platforms only might like to note that ArtWorks/Xara was designed to allow components to be easily added to the main software and that seems to be encouraged in the open sourced version of Xara.
John Cartmell wrote:

It's dead, Jim.

Not as dead as the other RiscOS is, though.
--
don't look down

I don't know who Jim is - but I prefixed my comment with 'those interested'. As you're not you can easily ignore the rest whilst those interested can read on. You don't have to use RISC OS - but the knowledge that it still exists, is still being developed, and is still used, adds just the smallest dollop to the sum of human knowledge. Pretending that it doesn't and isn't, simply isn't clever.
John Cartmell wrote:

I'll put you down for a "whoosh" then shall I?

Are you always this far up your own arse?

Is that as fictional as the rest of your comments? ;-)

Only when people go out of their way to tell an untruth. RISC OS machines may only trickle out - but they aren't dead. Dead computer platforms don't have releases (this quarter) of new machines (A9home - desktop version of an industrial machine and remarkable for its size - 6.5" x 4" x 2" and low power consumption) with an operating system (RISC OS Select 4) re-written to run on a completely different processor *and* legacy machines for the last 10 years. It might be minor news - but it's news. On the other hand you went out of your way to spread a (minor) untruth. Now that *does* need explanation.