Neat CCTV camera installation

A neat and tidy triple CCTV camera installation here, though you'd think they would wipe the pigeon poo off the domes once in a while. Might it not have been better to mount them on a bracket with the domes facing down?
<https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/04/iot- 800x600.jpg>
--
(\_/)
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

You don't want dome cameras pointing down if they can get wet from weather, etc.
The water forms drops on the bottom which means that part of the picture will be distorted and/or fuzzy.
I would go as far as to say unheated domes shouldn't be anywhere they can get wet if they are there for surveillance.
On 27/04/17 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Why three cameras, apparently pointing in the same direction, and right next to each other? What is the motor for? It looks pretty powerful.
--

Jeff

I don't know. It was an image used in an Ars Technica article and it caught my eye, precisely because of the neatness of installation of the three cameras. It may be a railway station, judging from the part of the sign visible on the left.
--
(\_/)
On 27/04/2017 13:31, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Maybe they're not cameras.
Cheers
--
Clive

Clive Arthur wrote:

    Lights?
Capitol wrote:

That's what went through my mind. The motor could be for a gate and the lights some sort of status of the gate. Cant otherwise see why three cameras apparent staring in the same direction as well as a Standard looking pan and tilt camera.

No, they're definitely cameras. if you look at the domes, the lenses inside are pointing in slightly different directions (more or less towards the photographer). The one above is pointing 90 degrees away from them.
The suggestion of them pointing at different ticket barriers is a good idea.
--
(\_/)
On Thursday, 27 April 2017 13:18:38 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

My guess - railway station, pointed at the ticket barriers, each camera is focused on one gate, and receives a feed from the gate of the ticket data read from the magstripe (or smartcard etc) which is superimposed on the recorded video.
Similar is used on shops where the till is linked to the CCTV so the owner can prove if the assistant isn't scanning items and letting friends have freebies.
Owain
On 27/04/2017 08:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

It won't open. I copied the whole address and pasted. What's this arse technica anyway?
Bill
On 27/04/17 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/04/iot-800x600.jpg
works
--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Thank you
Bill
On 27/04/2017 13:39, Bill Wright wrote:

> Just paste https://arstechnica.co.uk into Google.

The correct link without wrapping is
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/04/iot-800x600.jpg
Obviously you (Bill) didn't join the bits together well enough, and Mike was stupid enough to wrap his lines.
Looks kinda impossible to sneak up on that to remove it.
--
Can fat people go skinny-dipping?