Camera up the Chimney

My Office is at the top of the house and there's an unused small Victorian fireplace. The top of the chimney pot for this is probably 4 metres up.

For fun, I want to put a camera up there on a pole so I can poke it out the top and turn it round. I can't get to the chimney pot, or at least, that game isn't worth the candle.

I have some drain unblocking poles, but any camera would need a remotely operated lens cover to stop it getting filthy on the way up.

Any such thing around? USB would be good, maybe it's a little too far.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

You can do USB over 4 metres plus with an active lead.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Clive Arthur submitted this idea :

Wifi camera and maybe a cover which could be tugged off with a string once up there?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Remember it is very unlikely to be straight up.

Reply to
newshound

or a PoE ethernet one...

Reply to
John Rumm

Invert a plastic bag over the camera. Attach a length of hose to the drain rods with the end inside the plastic bag (you might run the cable inside the hose to give it protection).

When the camera has exited the chimbley pot, send some compressed air up the hose to blow the bag off. You'd probably have enough force to blow off a bubble-wrap bag.

This is a once-only operation.

Or attach something shiny and wait for a magpie or jackdaw.

Or attach a (potato) chip and wait for a gull.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I?d be tempted to make some sort of cage or basket around the camera, or just anything to keep the camera away from the sides of the chimney. Shouldn?t be too hard...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

to crap on the lens?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Get a drone instead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Most chimneys have some kind of cranked or blocked bit like louvers to stop rain coming straight down or birds building their nests there. I'd have thought a camera on a mast poked through from inside the loft with a tile removed might be another way of doing it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Or just buy a drone if he is perving on the neighbours or reporting lockdown evaders to the plod :-)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

You didn't need a drone to spot the BBQ down the street.

I never knew that that many pe> Or just buy a drone if he is perving on the neighbours or

Reply to
ARW

Now you know where all the Strongbow went ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Romanians?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You might be correct :-)

However I am not bothered.

I spent enough for free delivery from here

and from here

ARW

I am proud to say have a good mix of Europeans in our village.

But very few if none at all are Romany gypsies.

This was just the local born and dreads. The same ones that complain that foreigners "take our jobs" but would shit themselves if they had to put an alarm clock on for 7 in the morning and do a days work.

Reply to
ARW

That should have said born and bred's.

But I like my spelling mistake.