multipurpose tools: Bosch and Aldi

A jigsaw may well be a bit faster, but if you only need a handful of boards cut then the added precision and reduced damage of the multimaster makes it worth the extra few seconds IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, these were the kind of tasks I was thinking of, along with the floorboard cutting. I'll see if I can buy one next time round or if the Bosch ones go on sale at Christmas.

Reply to
Fred

I don't know how long the Aldi page will remain for but it is:

Bosches, blue and green, can be found here (and at any other good seller):
Fred

Reply to
Fred

Something like this?

Fred

I've just found this page; according to the photo, the green Bosch has an input of 180W but an output of only 74W:

reviewer claims the Aldi is more powerful because it is rated 300w but I don't think he has appreciated this is the input, rather than the output, power.

Fred.

Reply to
Fred

of those for a floorboard yet)

Reply to
John Rumm

> The reviewer claims the Aldi is more powerful because it is rated 300w

Indeed - mechanical output powers are rarely stated, and are typically quite a bit down on the electrical input (much of which will be lost as heat, and vibration etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

One last question, looking at the blades available for the Bosch, such as from Axminster's web site, what is the difference between a Japanese plunge cut blade and the "non-Japanese" plunge cut blade? Is it made from a harder type or metal or is the angle of the blade different or something else all together?

TIA Fred

Reply to
Fred

Probably down to the tooth profile. Japanese wood saws typically have a different tooth profile to what we think of as a normal wood saw (aside from cutting on the pull rather than the push stroke). The HSS/bimetal ones are designed for plastics and non ferrous metals as well as wood, and are different again.

Japanese profile teeth:

profile:

John Rumm