Mucked something up Thunderbird

The QFT options are 'sticky' providing you use the pushpin, but I don't find the other view/threads and view/sortby options are appropriately sticky, a few changes of folder and they loose effect.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Theme got nothing to do with them. They work on mail folders, just not on news threads.

It doesn't matter, the point I was *actually* trying to make is that there are so many options on Tbird these days that there is no certain way to tell anyone how to fix anything.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed, there are so many *similar* ways to filter what is shown, for me the only one that works consistently and reliably is the quickfilter, the others have too much randomness in how long their affect will last.

I suspect they can't remove any of these quasi-overlapping features without annoying significant chunks of their users.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I think that boat has already sailed.

The user interface is riddled with bugs. I have tried to get all the fonts in use to a consistent size, and failed. I have tried to get consistent behaviour between even different newsgroups and failed - some display with threads expanded, some do not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you been into the advanced options and set all font families and sizes for proportional/serif/sanserif/monospace for both "Latin" and "Other Writing Systems"? I just set *everything* to Consoleas 14 and be done with.

If you venture anywhere that Arabic/Japanese/Chinese etc are in use, do those too.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes. I discovered that practically every window has different, but overlapping sets of controls for font sizes. And the popup that says 'sending....message has yet another one.

I can even start typing a brand new email message and have TWO DIFFERENT SIZED FONTS appear...

Look: after two days exploring every possible option I have simply given up.

T'bird is usable, but completely broken.

Sometimes I have to unsubscribe from uk.d-i-y and resubscribe because it locks up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There are at leats three different fonts sizes visble on this shot, on for the folders one for the message and one for the popup

I couldn't snatch the other popup that apperars on sending the message as the screesnhot delay was too long

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My installation is a vanilla one with (AFAIR) no customisations.

So: for a vanilla installation, do other people find that if they set pin=on and unread=on while viewing a newsgroup, the same option applies to email folders as well?

Or has anyone found a way to set unread=on for all newsgroups and unread=off for all email folders?

Another question? Is there a way of stepping through email messages in a folder or postings in a newsgroup so as to visit each message (as opposed to each *unread* message) in turn - as there is with Windows Live Mail. The Previous/Next Unread buttons which can be added to the Menu Bar (Get, Write, Chat) only step through unread messages - is there an equivalent for all messages that are visible at the time (taking into account any unread=yes/no filter)?

Reply to
NY

Yes, it does.

I wouldn't want that.

If focus is in the message list pane, then up/down arrows, problem comes with message bodies longer than the content pane, as you'd have to move focus between panes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

F key, B key (forward? backward?)

alan_m

The latest release notes suggest a bugfix in this area.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

It is likely. Its is a very nasty bug and probably highly reproducible. Rationalising the 50 ways to set font sizes is probably not so easy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The way round that is to use the up/down cursor arrows in the message list pane, and the mouse scroll in the message content pane. Using the mouse scroll does not change the focus to the message content pane, so up/down will continue to move between messages.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I occasionally have something odd with my TB 102. I frequently use "Repair" to tidy up long NGs. I then use Shift-8 to expand all threads, and that always works. I then use Shift-C to mark the NG read. This works for almost all the NGs, but a couple do not respond, so I have to right-click on the NG and use "mark all read". I've never been able to work out why this happens.

Reply to
Jeff Layman