Moving!

Three times I moved and exchange/completion were on different dates but the last time my vendor 'expected' them both to occur on the same date, which delayed things a bit. I don't know if his expectation was based on previous experience or if it was because he used a useless solicitor. More advice: use a solicitor who does a lot of conveyancing, not a generalist. You won't make much progress if he's always in court defending local ne'er do wells.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Handyman Towers 2. Haven't moved house for 30 years, but I'm going to DIY a= fter seeing the quotes! 1.6 miles away. I'm hiring a Luton, Desmond is atte= nding with people carrier & trailer, plus 5 helpers with cars. Any tips on = how to make it go smoothly? Do's & Don'ts? Funny anecdotes? -- Dave - The M= edway Handyman

Get a tail lift.

Reply to
Phil

OK, so pretty much everything is now packed.

Tools stored in Desmond's lock up.

SIL coming Monday to empty whats left in the loft.

Unwanted furniture being collected by Oxfam having failed to sell on e bay.

Cooker & freezer being picked up Wednesday by No2 daughter who wants them.

I'm off on the Thursday to disconnect DW, dismantle beds, dining table etc & finish off anything else.

Luton van with tail lift booked.

Desmond with people carrier & large trailer booked.

Six people with hatchbacks or estate cars booked.

Sky & Virgin booked to sort out their stuff.

What could possibly go wrong?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Um, have you got insurance for all your stuff in transit in other people's vehicles?

Because it's likely it is not covered by your or their household or car insurance policies, especially if you're not travelling in the same vehicle as your treasures.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nope. It's 1.6 miles away on quiet residential roads, all family members or close friends - and we don't really have any treasures.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Good luck and hope it goes well.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ex-Hurricane Leslie doesn't track as far north as they are expecting?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yerrs. She is a flighty bitch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

(snip tedious sig)

is that adam's ex? ;?))

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Besides, he's already put his tools in storage...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

How did it go?

Reply to
Part Timer

Earth-moving?

Give him a day or two to suss out his new neighbours...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Very well indeed thanks.

Had everything loaded by 12, new place was empty by 12.15, everything unloaded by 2.30pm.

Lounge & kitchen sorted, bit of a mess in other rooms, loads of boxes, but they will get unpacked gradually.

All my stuff from the workshop is arriving at the weekend, plenty of space in shed.

Don't know what all the fuss was about, just needed a positive mental attitude :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

and 20 people to help you

I hope you paid them well

tim

Reply to
tim.....

  1. >

They all got a bacon & sausage stick :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman