Philips Kala Cordless Phone

Any ideas - I have returned from holiday and have found that this rather old phone seems to have died in some way. Battery indicates fully charged Trying to get it connected - it just gives a single beep and after 1 Sec the display counter goes off.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If the batteries are AA/AAA, try removing them, flatten then completely in e.g. a torch, then recharge them in an external NiMH/NiCd charger and replace in phone.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also some of these phones need to be logged into the base units as I recall, though I have no idea how we used to do it!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If AA/AAA, try new batteries to see if it powers up ok. Check the wallwart with a multimeter. If its not those, its unlikely to be worth repairing

NT

Reply to
NT
.

Thanks - that has got it working - but maybe the charger is playing up - but the indicator was showing fully charged on our return. Very odd. Maybe ready for the bin.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Bateries can be dodgy, ie one from the set may well be not holding a charge under load conditions.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good timing - or perhaps not so. We've got a Kala too - like it as it has = different registers for Family and Friends with different call tones so we = know if it's Family, Friend or Foe calling! It needs replacing but I can't= find another phone with this feature so we soldier on with it.=20

But over the last 24 hours I suspect the batteries have started to go as it= 's not working properly and the charging indicator is running continuously.= Quite happy to change the batteries, but how do I know if they are NiMh o= r NiCd ?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If they are non standard cells so not marked, check Ebay for a replacement pack. It's unlikely to be Ni-Cad unless pretty old.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A Google of 'philips kala cordless phone' brings up loads of hits for suitable batteries. They appear to be two AA Ni-MH.

Presumably any manufacturer will do.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I have a Philips phone which does use two AAAs. But covered in shrink wrap with a connector lead welded to them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you use a really hot iron, and you don't linger, you can easily solder wires directly to 'ordinary' AA batteries (even the case end). A

60W Weller with a No.8 bit works for me.
Reply to
Ian Jackson