Philips Kala Cordless Phone

Any ideas - I have returned from holiday and have found that this rather old phone seems to have died in some way. Battery indicates fully charged Trying to get it connected - it just gives a single beep and after 1 Sec the display counter goes off.
DerbyBorn wrote:

If the batteries are AA/AAA, try removing them, flatten then completely in e.g. a torch, then recharge them in an external NiMH/NiCd charger and replace in phone.
Also some of these phones need to be logged into the base units as I recall, though I have no idea how we used to do it!
Brian
From the sofa of Brian Gaff -
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

If AA/AAA, try new batteries to see if it powers up ok. Check the wallwart with a multimeter. If its not those, its unlikely to be worth repairing
NT
.

Thanks - that has got it working - but maybe the charger is playing up - but the indicator was showing fully charged on our return. Very odd. Maybe ready for the bin.
Bateries can be dodgy, ie one from the set may well be not holding a charge under load conditions.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" <Not snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
On Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:37:26 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:

Good timing - or perhaps not so. We've got a Kala too - like it as it has different registers for Family and Friends with different call tones so we know if it's Family, Friend or Foe calling! It needs replacing but I can't find another phone with this feature so we soldier on with it.
But over the last 24 hours I suspect the batteries have started to go as it's not working properly and the charging indicator is running continuously. Quite happy to change the batteries, but how do I know if they are NiMh or NiCd ?
Rob

If they are non standard cells so not marked, check Ebay for a replacement pack. It's unlikely to be Ni-Cad unless pretty old.
--
*Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

A Google of 'philips kala cordless phone' brings up loads of hits for suitable batteries. They appear to be two AA Ni-MH. <http://www.batterytrader.com/nimh-cordless-telephone-rechargeable-replac ement-battery-loose-p-338.html?currency=GBP>
Presumably any manufacturer will do.
--
Ian

I have a Philips phone which does use two AAAs. But covered in shrink wrap with a connector lead welded to them.
--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

If you use a really hot iron, and you don't linger, you can easily solder wires directly to 'ordinary' AA batteries (even the case end). A 60W Weller with a No.8 bit works for me.
--
Ian