More of Mikes kittens

That was something at least.

Ok.

OOI, I was talking to the local Council 'Dog catcher' the other day re the law and owners not microchipping their dogs as I believe it is now a legal requirement (£500 fine for not doing since April 2016 I believe).

Apparently, if an owner comes to collect their dog they just charge them the relevant collection / overnight fees and send them on their way (even though 'local authorities' are supposed to 'police' the microchipping thing)?

Makes sense then. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

cat people do.

Reply to
tabbypurr

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

Because it irritates people like you and D i m ? :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No, to make the mum cat fatter in the first place.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nightjar

We get it, you don't like cats.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

'We' obviously don't as I have nothing against cats as an animal species.

What I find strange is why what are supposed to be big d-i-y loving blokes would act like 15 year old girls and feel the need to post links to kitten pictures in a d-i-y group?

I would expect just the same response if I posed links to my own pet animal young *here*.

The fact that I also find cats to be far from the 'companion animals' they are supposed to be and have practical experience of them being destructive to wildlife and a public nuisance for all sorts of reasons means I can't see the point of them either.

Now, if you lived on a farm or the cat stayed indoors and didn't wreck your furniture or scratch / bite visitors .. or actually provided any other benefit to society ... then it could be a different matter.

I'm not questioning *your* choice of companion animal, I just wish you would keep your animal to yourself (and not you personally of course). In just the same way I'd expect you to comment on someone's dog barking all night or crapping and damaging your property and the 'owner' not being held responsible.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

+1 Well said.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Because not just 15yo girls like kittens, and usenet is dying, so this is one of the very few newsgroups with actual conversation?

FWIW, please do.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No, of course not, but that wasn't the point here.

Really? I've not noticed this part of Usenet dying and certainly not to the point where we need to clutter it with non OT marked kitten crap? I'm quite happy uk.d-i-y has evolved to be a bit more open as times have changed but *most people* (excluding the spammers, trolls and cat_brain_mushed of course) have the decency to mark such a blatantly off topic post as OT, even just as a courtesy.

No, there are still quite a few with 'actual conversation' and part of the reason for that with all of them is that OT stuff is both marked as such or simply not posted (by other than the trolls etc). Once the noise overcomes the signal than *that* is when the n/g dies and conversation amongst a tiny (strange) minority of mainly older adult men about kittens (ffs) could be the start of that.

No, because it's way off topic and my brain hasn't been mushed by contact with cats. ;-)

Anything d-i-y related or even stuff that isn't strictly d-i-y (in the purest sense) but involves people actually doing or considering doing (if the panel suggests it's viable etc) things, be it trying to sort out their own network issues, or some project they have built but have got stuck on ... or creating, modifying or fixing anything really (unless there is a potentially better place, as with car related stuff) is now considered acceptable here, but still some will mark it OT out of respect for the original spirit of the group.

People who support OT threads about kittens when it's not even marked as OT ether don't GAS about anything or are brain mushed (so they can't see the bigger picture).

Of course, like anything it doesn't *really* matter if it only happens once-in-a-while but accepting it without comment could be the opening of floodgates and I'm pretty sure most people here wouldn't want that?

Plus 'some people' don't believe the (net)etiquette applies to them of course. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I am also on several other newsgroups and forums and in all cases any OT stuff ... or threads that drift OT are pointed elsewhere (and often there are more 'chat' related sub groups (cafes) just for that purpose). That doesn't mean the rules are strict, just that there are limits.

Reply to
T i m

it doesn't irritate me

I just thought it would be a way to get the pictures up faster that this: A sends the picture to B who sends it to C who posts it somewhere and then tells B to tell everybody where it is

or whatever it is that you do now

Reply to
tim...

Usenet in general is dying, sadly. Here might not be but the number of useable groups is dwindling and the support by most ISPs is too.

I'll agree that really it should have been OT, but it's pretty obvious you'll find nothing of interest there, huh?

One could argue you're adding to the noise by repeating your views: I think most people here know them very well by now, and while I disagree with them you're entitled to them. Life would be boring if we all held the same opinions, but yes, noise exceeding signal is the start of the end.

I don't think there's anything strange about grown men liking kittens. Or puppies. or $cute_animal.

Hell, I just like the content. OK, it should have been OT, really.

I don't see much of that here, as yet, but yes, we should all try to be good netizens.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

If he couldn't work out that 'kittens' was OT he should stick to discussing things with Rod, Wilkinson and the whiskied bloke.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

More importantly he missed out an apostrophe in the subject line!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That's rich, coming from you who posts his Linux problems here and drags up Brexit at every available opportunity. Plus loads of incomprehensible pseudo-scientific bullshit about left brain, right brain whenever anyone dares disagree with you.

Hypocritical, much?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

What the left brainers often can't comprehend is that many people don't necessarily mark their threads literally and so any links contained within *could* still be DIY related (like the picture of a kitten (supposedly) holding an electric drill or something equally sad). If they didn't they would have been marked OT eh?

IYHO I'm guessing?

See, sometimes even the trolls, nutters and whisky soaked come up with something interesting or funny (unlike the Linux geeks who never do) and that's why I don't use a kilfile (and never have).

Right brainers have the ability to choose what to read and who to ignore and do so based on such fuzzy logic that would have a Linux geek / left brainer frothing (more) at the mouth. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Same here, I've never even considered using a killfile.

Reply to
Bod

Don't either of you get fed up of reading through 20 posts to find 1 that's interesting? It would be like watching every single TV program instead of selecting them based on title.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not even for Stve Punder? (Spelt incorrectly or it'll trigger my own killfile).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would I read every post that doesn't interest me, that would be silly. I just look for a subject/topic that I want to read.

Reply to
Bod