Modern DG door lock question

The door has multi-point locking, which comes into force when the handle is first lifted. Turning the top of the key towards the frame one turn it locks it and prevents the door handle from being pressed down, but the key can be turned almost a second revolution towards lock, though not enough to enable the key to be pulled out.

What is the purpose of that second turn please? It feels as if it is doing something useful inside the lock, but what?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nothing useful IME

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It could be turning the bolt further in to the lock.

Reply to
ss

What bolt?

The multi point lock is operated by lifting the handle not the key. All the key does is immobilise the handle

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The cam of the Eurolocks on my front and back doors shoots a small bolt a little further in the same action as the main multi-point mechanism. Lifting the handle shoots the bolt halfway and also deadlocks a catch (and the multipoint of course). Turning the key locks the handle and shoots the bolt fully. The bolt doesn't seem to add much to the security, I have wondered why they bothered.

Reply to
Graham.

Have you considered replacing the Eurolock with one with a thumb-turn on the inside?

Reply to
Graham.

How tough are the windows in DG doors? I prefer thumb turn on the inside but I've wondered about security.

Reply to
R D S

As an aside, if you leave the key in or use a thumb turn make sure you are still covered for house insurance re burglary. Some insurance policies state the key must be out of the lock and stored a minimum distance from the door.....just sayin.

Reply to
ss

I have never seen a policy that says that - if you have any names that would be useful.

And I actually scan the small print looking for thinks like "window locks must be used" etc.

Personally I'd drop any company that said that on H&S grounds - and in fact I specified thumb turns on my new back door and conservatory doors for exactly this reason - but there are no letter boxes to reach through.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If the glazing's big enough it's better to have a key lock plus a glass break hammer hidden out of view nearby.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You may find that it pushes the centre bolt further in and if you turn the key back half a turn it will allow you to remove it,you can tell by the feeling whether it is withdrawing the bolt again but probably not.

Reply to
F Murtz

Not if the people who might need to escape are children.

No child is going to be happy trying to break a large sheet of glass with a glass break hammer.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I dont now have a name but it was about 7 years back (my wife looked at the renewal policies) we never used them and always now check for that.

Reply to
ss