Tiling question

Will be tiling walls in a couple of weeks, I have had to remove some of the old tiles for other work just now and discovered there is another layer of tiles below, so it was tiled on tiles. For the best part of this room I wont need to replace plasterboard (so far) so if I just remove the 1st layer of tiles will this be ok for tiling the new tiles to? How tidy must I get the bottom layer surface bearing in mind some parts have adhesive stuck to them.

Reply to
ss

Frankly if its possible to rip back to studs, sort any plumbing out and then reclad in plasterboard or whatever cladding you feel is justified - waterproof, or plywood etc - I would.

Tiling onto a dead flat surface is infinitely easier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And you can insulate any pipes with climaflex and insulate inside the wall itself with fibreglass or whatever, at the same time, which will reduce sound.

Reply to
Tim Streater

As long as the lumps do not prevent the new tiles seating right, you don't need to do anything, except knock off any obviously loose old adhesive.

Tile adhesive is pretty good at sticking to most surfaces.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bear in mind the cost of adhesive. If you're packing out the tiles to get them level, it can end up costing a lot more than a skim before tiling

Reply to
stuart noble

If they're rock solid, yes

not a bit. But its a lot easier, quicker & cheaper on cement/adhesive to have a nice flat surface. I tiled over a 2' wide 4" deep hole once by putting tile offcuts in on edge to support the tiles.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

+1

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You could use ANGLE GRINDER to get rid of any bits of adhesive stuck on previous tiling. Makes a lot of dust. Make sure they are well stuck on.

Very difficult to do a good job on none flat surfaces.

Reply to
harry

if you want to be there all month. SDS chisel is thet hing.

yup. But it is possible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I will get another couple of rows off the top layer, see how the 2nd row scrubs up and take it from there.

Reply to
ss