Tiling question

Will be tiling walls in a couple of weeks, I have had to remove some of the old tiles for other work just now and discovered there is another layer of tiles below, so it was tiled on tiles. For the best part of this room I wont need to replace plasterboard (so far) so if I just remove the 1st layer of tiles will this be ok for tiling the new tiles to? How tidy must I get the bottom layer surface bearing in mind some parts have adhesive stuck to them.
On 26/10/15 16:09, ss wrote:

Frankly if its possible to rip back to studs, sort any plumbing out and then reclad in plasterboard or whatever cladding you feel is justified - waterproof, or plywood etc - I would.
Tiling onto a dead flat surface is infinitely easier.
--
Global warming is the new Margaret Thatcher. There is no ill in the
world it's not directly responsible for.

And you can insulate any pipes with climaflex and insulate inside the wall itself with fibreglass or whatever, at the same time, which will reduce sound.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
On Monday, 26 October 2015 16:16:59 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

+1
NT
On 26/10/15 16:09, ss wrote:

As long as the lumps do not prevent the new tiles seating right, you don't need to do anything, except knock off any obviously loose old adhesive.
Tile adhesive is pretty good at sticking to most surfaces.
On 26/10/2015 18:40, Tim Watts wrote:

Bear in mind the cost of adhesive. If you're packing out the tiles to get them level, it can end up costing a lot more than a skim before tiling
On Monday, 26 October 2015 16:09:53 UTC, ss wrote:

If they're rock solid, yes

not a bit. But its a lot easier, quicker & cheaper on cement/adhesive to have a nice flat surface. I tiled over a 2' wide 4" deep hole once by putting tile offcuts in on edge to support the tiles.
NT
On Monday, 26 October 2015 16:09:53 UTC, ss wrote:

You could use ANGLE GRINDER to get rid of any bits of adhesive stuck on previous tiling. Makes a lot of dust. Make sure they are well stuck on.
Very difficult to do a good job on none flat surfaces.
On Tuesday, 27 October 2015 07:38:09 UTC, harry wrote:

if you want to be there all month. SDS chisel is thet hing.

yup. But it is possible.
NT

I will get another couple of rows off the top layer, see how the 2nd row scrubs up and take it from there.