Mixer Taps

Generally the two hole mixers tend to be suitable for lower pressure

> supplies. Has the end of the spout got an aerator?

My kitchen mixer tap has always been slow on the hot water side, around 3 litres/min whereas my bathroom single hot tap (immediately above the kitchen & fed from the same supply) is around 6 litres/min.

Logic tells me it should be the other way around.

Does the presence of an aerator indicate a high pressure tap or would removing it help matters?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Why? Kitchen cold tap will be at full mains pressure, and your bathroom cold tap evidently is too (and is close to the point of entry so the flow won't be throttled back by a long length of pipework.

You don't say whether or not your hot water is at mains pressure too. If it *is* at mains pressure, then the large differential with the cold flow would suggest a partly closed valve or blockage somewhere; even if not, you'd expect slightly less flow rate than in the cold because there's more pipework between the hot taps and the incoming rising main (which creates the pressure) than there is between the cold taps and the rising main.

OTOH, if the hot water is *not* at mains pressure, the the hot water pressure will presumably be generated by the height of a cold water tank sited in your attic or similar; and unless you have really low mains pressure, the hot water will inevitably be at lower pressure than the cold in such cases.

So either way, your cold water would be expected to flow faster than the hot.

David

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'm not talking about cold taps, they are fine. It's just the hot taps. The kitchen tap should have a greater 'head' because it's further below the tank.

No, from a cylinder.

Thats right.

I know that, as I say the cold is fine, its the difference between tqo hot taps I'm asking about.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Ah, sorry - misunderstood: thought you meant you were comparing H vs C in bathroom and kitchen.

Could the problem be a partly closed service valve in the kitchen or elsewhere in the pipework?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Chances are you have a kitchen tap designed for mains pressure (many of them are). They still work on low pressure (usually - although some quarter turn mechanisms will fail to turn off properly without sufficient pressure), but you don't get the flow rate.

Reply to
John Rumm