Mixer tap spout removal

I need to replace the O rings on a mixer tap. It has no grub screw securing the spout so I understand that the spout needs to be in this position.

?dl=0

Is it always this direction or might it be over the other tap?

How critical is the position +/-5 degs or +/- 45 degs.

Any tips for determining when it is in the correct position?

And once in the correct position any tips for actually removing it? It sort of "wobbles" but resists all attempts to pull it vertically.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris B

I shall watch this with interest, as I have the same problem. I didn't know about the 'correct angle', though, it might of course be different on my taps. If only I knew what brand the assembly is!

And mine had the remains of a metal collar under the external nut, its removal has done nothing to improve or worsen the effect.

Reply to
Davey

External nut?

its

Reply to
Chris B

At the base of the spout is a deep chromed nut, through which the spout protrudes. Undoing it exposes the point where the spout comes out of the main part of the assembly, and provides access to the sealing ring(s), if you can get it apart. Until the spout can be removed, this nut is trapped on the spout. It is a nut, and it is external.

Reply to
Davey

Chris B was thinking very hard :

On my two kitchen mixers, they both have a grub screw fixed in the main body, which when screwed in, meet up with a groove in the spout. It is rather awkward to access the grub-screws, because they face the wall.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mine is the same - I would double check for a grub screw before attempting any other means if dismantling.

Reply to
Biggles

Same here and after removing the grub screw it was still difficult to get off.

Reply to
ss

I have just looked behind my kitchen spout. Yes, there is a grub screw, it is tiny, very tiny and I would not know how to remove it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I recall using a very small allen key.

Reply to
ss

It's prbably pre-internet. I can't find it there, nor the logo on the tap top looking like an offset T inside an O. I take it you've already tried rotating the spout while at the same time keeping it pulled up until it finds its slot?

Reply to
Dave W

Use a mirror - or press your finger on the screw to get an imprint to see if it is an allen key of screwdriver that is needed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Once in the last 14 years of handymanning I've come across a spout that unscrews. Rented property, spout kept leaking. Sink was in front of a windowsill, so nothing to stop it turning 360 degrees. Turned out the 8 year old little shit of a son played with it by spinning it round.

Reply to
TMH

Yes, tried that, I can feel some sort of a notch effect but nothing

100% positive. But (in answer to others) I am 95ish% positive that there is no grub screw, of any sort. Slot Posi or hex.
Reply to
Chris B

TMH said that he once had a spout which unscrewed when turned. You can't do that because it's against the wall, so you would have to completely remove the whole assembly to try it.

Reply to
Dave W