mixer tap spout

The spout on our kitchen mixer tap has always been a bit stiff so I thought I'd take it off and have a look. Problem is, the grub screw at the back is too close to the tiles to get any sort of screwdriver in there. I had thought I could hold a bit in a pair of mole grips, but even that's too long. The gap I have is around 23mm. An allen key with a phillips/pozi head might fit, but is there such a thing? I'm sure plumbers must have encountered this problem. Cheers for any advice

Reply to
stuart noble

You can get right angled screwdrivers, even ratchet ones

F Murtz

I have something very similar which is a Halfords "own brand". Failing that you could always grip a screwdriver bit in a small mole wrench which would let you apply axial force as well as "twist".

Reply to
newshound

But it needs an inch and I don't quite have that much

Reply to
stuart noble

Ah, you obviously missed the mole grips mention in the original post :) The bits I have are all 25mm and I imagine that's a standard size. I could do with 3 or 4 mm less. Looks like an angle grinder job

Reply to
stuart noble

>>> But it needs an inch and I don't quite have that much ______________________________________________________

It will be an allen key. Mine are. Bloody modern rubbish. Bite the bullet, take best guess and cut an allen key to a short length. Or, blast it with WD 40 or something.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

23mm is not a lot to play with, I have an Xcelite right angled ratchet screwdriver, but even that might struggle with so little clearance (it was a *very* silly price from Farnell a few years back but was the only way to do one particular job and someone else was picking up the bill)

It's similar to this

the tap is on flexies then just remove the nut and use a normal screwdriver

Alternatively use a core drill from the outside and then use a long screwdriver, refit core and bodge with silicone sealant and gaffer tape.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I'm not quite sure from your post whether the screw has a socket for an Allen key, or whether it's Pozi.

However - whichever it is - I assume that you've got a bit which fits it? The bit is presumably hexagonal is section, to fit a normal driver? Rather than use a Mole Wrench, why not rotate the bit with a suitably sized ring spanner? If the bit is too long for the available space, grind some off the non-working end.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Chicken and egg. I think it's a pozi but I can't tell for sure because the bit's too long. Yes, it's angle grinder time. I'm guessing the grub screw has no effect on how freely the spout moves, and I'm now wondering whether there's anything I can do even if I take it apart

Reply to
stuart noble

Did you even read my post?

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I did, but it's not an allen key. It's either pozi or philips. My allen keys are shorter and there would be room for them if they had a pozi or philips head. Did you even read mine? :)

Reply to
stuart noble

Well, thanks for saying taa for the effort Mr Pounder. I tried to help and was ignored. You just have to be a southerner.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If I remember rightly, the grub screw sits in a groove in the spout and stops it moving up and out of the fitting so, in principle, taking that out should let you lift it out (cack in the gap permitting)

Reply to
GMM

In message , The Other Mike writes

To avoid this problem, I on a couple of occasions I've made sure that I fitted the tap 'the wrong way round', so that the grub-screw was at the front (and adjusted the handles to suit). Of course, if you do have to remove the spout (say to replace the O-ring), to forestall the inevitable departure and loss of the grub-screw, make sure that the plug is in the plug-hole.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

If you don't want to be ignored, you should perhaps read the post before replying. It's not like it was long and rambling. Sorry and all that, but it's normal to thank one and all when the thread dies. If you want individual thanks you're probably in the wrong place.

Reply to
stuart noble

Wow, that's what you call forward thinking!

Reply to
stuart noble

That's what I thought. This thing has been stiff since the day it was fitted. I hoped it would loosen up in use but that hasn't happened

Reply to
stuart noble

A spot of silicone grease (or other high-melting-point grease) should help. [So will WD40, but it's effectiveness probably won't last very long.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

I was once a Boy Scout, and still live by the motto.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Very difficult to get any lubricant in there. Because of the design it would have to soak upwards.

Reply to
stuart noble