Mixed gasses

Didn't Wheeler Dealers make up battery powered LED replacements to fit in place of the carbide lamps in a Daraqs headlamps?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

"Petzl Ariane", a modern carbide haedlamp.

Possibly discontinued, but sometimes available used.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes it's strange. We used to buy it as schoolkids to mess around with. But there were no acetylene lamps around at that time so why they had any is a mystery.

Reply to
harry

Yes, that's the one that was for sale in Halfords.

Reply to
harry

Interesting. I've only seen such lamps a few times and not noticed that. I wonder if, for cavers etc, they produce better quality (pure) Calcium Carbide as H2S is dangerous. I believe it was used in WW1.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Am 17.12.2019 um 11:23 schrieb harry: [carbide]

It was used for killing moles.

Reply to
Matthias Czech

It's also flammable and so would be burned up.

Reply to
harry

The acetylene from a carbide lamp always had a very characteristic slightly sweetish smell, and no, AFAIK the carbide wasn't particularly pure. H2S is almost as poisonous as cyanide gas, or so I was taught at school, but when generated from a carbide lamp it's immediately burnt, so never builds up to anywhere near a lethal concentration. Nor do I think it would do even if unburnt unless for an extended period in a very confined space. It's not as though you'd drop dead from the slightest whiff of H2S, any more that you'd drop dead from the slightest whiff of HCN (I have smelt both, and I'm still here!).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I think some people may be assuming caves are prone to be short of air circulation. That was not my experience in the few I explored - not even when a podgy like me was plugging a squeeze.

Reply to
Robin

ISTR that if you can smell it, it is okay, when the concentration is higher, the effect stops you smelling it. At least that is what we were told in "O"-level chemistry - so it could be completely wrong!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker