Migrating Windows 10 to new SSD

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought, but was slightly confused by the fact that the caddy can take either an HDD or an SSD. Are there separate sockets for the two drives? The SSD drive I'm getting is this

Chris Hogg

Most people would presume "SSD" without any further qualification was a

2.5" SATA form factor, but that device is an M.2 form factor, which depending on the pinout could use SATA, USB or PCIe connections.

That one seems to have "B & M" keying, and use SATA connections, the fastest type use PCIe connections and are generally called NVMe.

A "normal" USB caddy would only take a single HD or SSD over a SATA connector, though you can get them for SATA over M.2 connector, e.g.

Andy Burns

I presume you used Crucial's selector to find the correct type/size for your machine?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Crucial advertise it as being suitable for a Lenovo Ideapad 120S-11AP, i.e. mine, which currently has only about 30GB memory, SSD, and runs Win 10, together with MS Office 2007 plus a few other bits and bobs, and it keeps telling me it's getting low on memory. So I'm trying to remedy that.

Thanks for the heads up on the form factor. A tiny glimmer of light appears in my darkness! So I need an M2 caddy suitable for a card with a B+M connector. You can see why I was confused - I couldn't see how that SSD card fitted into a traditional caddy that was also capable of taking an HDD. Glad I asked.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I did this a few weeks ago. The target disk (SSD) was smaller than the source. CloneZilla couldn't (AFAICT) do it by itself: it complained because of the smaller destination, although the source had lots of space. So I ran the Windows install to the new disk, and then used CloneZilla to do a partition-to-partition copy of the OS and data (I ignored the recovery partition, since the install had taken care of that).

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

They're usually pretty good at knowing what's right for each machine ... BUT ... the Lenovo spec says the 32GB is an eMMC, those are generally soldered to the PCB and not (easily!) upgradable, are you sure it has an M.2 slot or a 2.5" SATA slot?

Sometimes different models may have either a soldered eMMC, or a normal SATA SSD slot, and can't be converted to the other type after purchase, I can't see any evidence from Lenovo website that it has M.2

32GB of "disk" space is quite tight for Windows 10, especially when it comes time for updates.

I've deleted the rest of the reply I had written, on the grounds that it probably doesn't apply to that laptop, proceed with caution.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hmm...time will tell I guess. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll just use it as an external disc. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I couldn't find a manual which I was sure was for your exact model, have you opened it up yet? I saw photos on review sites which show some variants that have M.2 sockets, but the eMMC variants might not.

If it *does* have a socket, rather than buying an external caddy and cloning, you might consider doing a fresh install of Win10, the Win10 licence will activate automatically based on MS servers "recognising" the machine as having been previously activated, would require re-install of office etc, plus backup data to an external drive or cloud.

If Crucial's wizard recommended it based on the proper model number, and it turns out to be wrong, I think they'll take it back without quibble

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's marked as out of stock!

Reply to
Terry Casey

It is now, but it's in the post (they tell me). Perhaps I had the last one.

Reply to
Chris Hogg