mesh grade / sizing

I need to buy a small piece of mesh but cant understand how they measure it. In the attached image there is apprx 18 `squares` to a 5mm length, does anyone know how this is sized so that I can order the approx mesh hole size.

ss

I may be wrong but I think the mesh is defined by the size of the holes not by the number of holes in a given area.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I think you're right, based on the size of particles that pass through

-or don't.

Reply to
Richard

OK so on that basis if I assume the material used is approx the same thickness as the holes created then that would be:

18 holes + 18 thicknesses of the material = 36 So for a 5mm length that would be 5mm/36 = .13mm hole size.

P.S. The mesh is used to create a foam as a water/detergent mix passes through.

Reply to
ss

A couple of sources which may help:

Richard

Do you know that it will work? I ask because normally you need a lot of aeration to get a decent foam, which in turn requires energy. Think of whisking egg white to make meringue; it's quite hard work. Industrial froth flotation units for separating minerals usually have pretty hefty motors driving aerating impellers to create the foam. Simply passing soapy water through a screen won't necessarily do the job.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It should work as I am taking the dimensions from an existing item, it is actually a carpet cleaning system, that produses foam to surface clean the carpet and the `mesh module` is broken. I cant find spares for it so attempting to make something.

Reply to
ss