mAh level for batteries

Looking to buy some rechargeable batteries for digital camera is there a limit on the mAh level or should I just go for something like 4300 mAh for better/longer lasting power.

Reply to
ss

What size? AA?

LSD NiMH are quite good if you want to leave them in the camera for months and be sure they'll still be ready when you turn it on for that critical shot.

Above a certain capacity, the numbers turn to fiction, for AAs that number's probably about 2900 now.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for reply, yes it is AA. I previously had 2800s and they lasted around 8 years but their life is pretty short now after a recharge, although still useable. I saw various from 800s to 4300s and hence asking the question. So probably just get something around the 2900s

Reply to
ss

Some of the capacity ratings printed on some of the batteries on Ebay are a work of fiction. Check the web sites of reputable manufacturers for batteries and check what their best offerings are for the size of battery.

Reply to
alan_m

I wonder if the self-discharge rate of the high mAh batteries (over

2500) is above that of the lower eneloop type. You might be better of getting two packs of those rather than one of higher mAh, as they will last a lot longer in storage. There's little point in having a 2900mAh set only to find it is unusable when you need it as it is no longer charged.
Reply to
Jeff Layman

As a general rule, if you are using them a lot in a short time, the big capacity ones are very good, but if as has been mentioned you want to keep them charged and hope they stay that way for a good time the big capacity ones are not so good as they self discharge faster over time. At least this has been my findings over the years. I don't know the reason for it, but suspect that the construction in large capacity ones is less robust and more prone to growth of those nasty little bits that bridge the electrodes over time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Make sure your camera can take rechargables.

Reply to
whisky-dave