MagnaClean and Hydroflow recommended by British Gas: worth it?

Quite. Makes me wonder how my system has worked just fine for 40 odd years without one. In London, which is a hard water area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same with the way they push Calgon at you. I had to change the heater element in our washing machine after 12 years (hard water area). But it had practically no scale on it - the integrated gasket had failed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Interesting to work out the cost of using Calgon in each and every wash over the average life of a washing machine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

.

Absolutely no evidence these magnetic/electronic descaling/ hard water improver devices work.

Ion exchange softening devices do work. (The ones you put salt in).

OTOH The magnetic traps for your central heating circuit are a good thing. Especially if you have had a new boiler fitted.

If your fitter can't get an immersion heater out of your cylinder, he is a tosser. I used to do this regularly years ago and never once failed.

Reply to
harryagain

Perhaps he's worried about destroying the tank. They don't build them like they used to.

Reply to
Fredxxx

No, he is a tosser. Probably got an NVQ. Or there is a financial incentive/work creation.

Reply to
harryagain