(?) Looking for LONG screws for electrical knockout boxes.

Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (>60mm) screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in a deeper-than-normal wall?

I've looked in the Farnell, CPC, and Screwfix catalogues but don't see any listed amongst the regular screws being offered or amongst the various electrical mounting boxes.

TIA - Dave.

Reply to
Dave Chapman

On Saturday 28 December 2013 10:13 Dave Chapman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

ITYM M3.5 - or are these very old boxes?

^^ 60mm long - does that help?

Reply to
Tim Watts

TLC Direct do 75mm ones;

Or

MK Extension Stud M3.5;

The Medway Handyman

TLC Direct do 75mm ones;

Or

MK Extension Stud M3.5;

The Medway Handyman

The thread used since the '70s is 3.5mm.

Any decent electrical wholesaler will have them. Like TLC.

Or Ebay - this seller does a variety of sizes and quantities.

Dave Plowman (News)

Very many thanks for the speedy responses and helpful information supplied. Much appreciated.

I don't actually need the screws to fit to a conduit box but I do have a couple of the long screws I mentioned and needed a few more of similar shaft thickness in order to mount some handles on either side of a rather thick wooden door. The actual thread doesn't matter as long as its around the 3mm or 2BA that I quoted.

Happy New Year.

- Dave.

Reply to
Dave Chapman

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:vMxvu.57$ snipped-for-privacy@fx02.am:

I like the studs! However, I suppose when things get to a certain point then putting a spacer behind the box - or fitting a deeper box would be the "purist" way of doing it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Very useful when walls have been tiled.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You need to look for 3.5 (m3.5) screws. I've purchased the before from CPC

Toolstation do 50mm and 75mm @ £2/3 per hundred

Screwfix call them "m3.5 electrical screw" they also do 50m and 75mm but more expensive than toolsatan

Reply to
alan

Are you sure about the diameter. The old handles on my front door were M6; the new handles are M5 - I'd have preferred the M6 for the new ones but they seem to be old hat now.

Reply to
PeterC