electrical boxes

I am planning on replacing some light fixtures under our covered porch; upon taking down the existing fixtures, I discovered that electrical boxes were not used, but rather the fixture brackets were directly set into the plywood ceiling. I am planning on installing the bracing and boxes, as the new lights are too heavy and I would not feel comfortable installing them without doing so.

Our house was built in 2001 in Georgia. I'm curious if the electrician was required by code to install the boxes during construction. If someone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris

It would have been required by the electrical code in my area. There are parts of the U.S. which don't have any zoning. Maybe there are also parts which don't have an electrical codes either? I don't know.

Anyway electrical codes are a local thing. Check with your local city/county planning/building permit/electrical inspector.

Reply to
Bill

The National Electric Code requires some kind of housing for the wire connectors. It is a good safety idea too.

Reply to
Phisherman

If it was done in Georgia, that explains a lot. The enforcement of electrical ( and most building ) codes is non-existant. When developers start construction, they put out the call for carpenters and every hillbilly who thinks he knows how a hammer works, suddenly becomes a carpenter. Tha same for electricians, plumbers and HVAC techs. No license required, just a driving desired to do it quick. You get an extra case of beer if you can "...screw a yankee" at the same time.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Some fixtures come with a splicing area in them, like fluorescents. Years ago here in Phoenix we stubbed out the romex and just screwed the fixtures to the surface. Now everything needs a box.

There are 3/0 and 4/0 boxes that come with brackets for this purpose. Weight restricted to something like 30 pounds. Better check first

Reply to
SQLit

I think you're wise especially to install electrical boxes on for ANY in-wall wiring. Even if it's not required by an inadequate local code. Those boxes are an excellent way to prevent a fire, and possibly save lives.

- Dugie

Reply to
Dugie

Boxes are ALWAYS required whereever a wire is spliced. That electrician should be fired and hung from his balls at the local courthouse. Of course, does Georgia have any laws? Dont they still build homes out of cardboard boxes and have possies instead of police?

Reply to
evolie

The fixtures *might* have cable clamps and/or knockouts and room to make the splice inside the fixture. (A lot of fluorescent and HID lights are like that.) It might not be totally kosher to mount such a fixture without a box, but it's certainly not a hanged-from-his-balls offense.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob