Combined back boxes

Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as p ossible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a number of accessories eg.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP335.html
Just to complicate matters domestic management wants chrome accessories but I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic ver sions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dimen sions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plastic versions?
Richard
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:56:56 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

No they don't. Even white plastics can vary a bit.
I would use ordinary metal boxes joined with conduit couplers and male bushes. That will get you even spacing with a small gap between.
Owain
On 12/10/2019 10:52, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Possibly this method also allows the use of multiple double back boxes (or a mix of doubles and singles) and deeper back boxes to help with wire routing if more than the normal number of wires are to be run through some of the back boxes
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

IIRC, TLC sell coupling bits to allow two boxes to be fixed at the minimum distance. Easier than using conduit couplers.
--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

One slight issue with those couplers Dave. They only work on fixed lug boxes! You can get them to hold boxes with one fixed and one moving lug by turning one box upside down and using the two fixed lugs but two boxes are your limit.
Richard
On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I suspect TLC are playing safe there. The combined back boxes can't be used with some fittings which are larger than the usual 86x86 mm - eg some of the "flat plate screwless" ones. But I have used one with metal ones which are the bog standard size.
Adam posted some time ago a method of dealing with ones which are too big for a dual box.
<https://groups.google.com/forum /#!search/%22Dual$20Back$20Box%22/uk.d-i-y/FpZZ5dWIb9I/dejQQCfl0ksJ>
--
Robin
That link does not work for me Robin.
On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Use two single back boxes.
To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes that is the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to put the faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the gap between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the back boxes into the wall with the wood in place.
Adam
On 12/10/2019 11:26, GB wrote:

At the time I had a retired neighbour that lived opposite me that liked to keep himself busy.
He used to make them for me. He passed away some years ago. The sort of bloke who would take your wheelie bin back in whilst you were out at work or take it out if you were working away (without having to ask him).
--
Adam

y.

We should all try to be that neighbour whilst we can.
On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:

try
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/uk.d-i-y/FpZZ5dWIb9I/JSu3wK9x7VwJ
--
Robin
On 12/10/2019 11:16, Tricky Dicky wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/yxuehacz
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

I can see how the packing piece of wood works especially on an unplastered wall where a temporary piece of wood can be attached to act as a datum whil st installing. However installing the boxes individually with just a packer in between still has the potential for some vertical misalignment.
When putting three double sockets in a line behind our TV unit I used two s teel strips pop rivetted to the back of the boxes which if I remember corre ctly were spaced 15mm apart, worked a treat.
I am just looking for a simple but accurate means of aligning a number of s ockets and switches as the walls will be tiled and nothing shows up dodgy o r unlevel alignment than tiles! I suppose as someone has pointed out there can be some variation in metal faceplates especially the low profile type. We actually intend to use profiled accessories so it will probably mean che cking dimensions and suck it and see. If I have to try out a few back boxes so be it they are not the most expensive items in this rewire.
Richard
On 12/10/2019 12:04, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Spirit level, fix batten to wall, fit back boxes against batten, remove batten.
On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Scolmore New Media?
--
Adam

This discussion takes me back to sometime near the end of the 1960s. There were some 13A sockets around that looked like chrome, but were in fact plastic with a thin shiny silver coating. It was conductive too.The problems started about a year later when flakes of the silver came off, indeed I got one stuck in my finger. This made the part where the plug fitted look decidedly naff. I guess it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. You used to find toys with this coating as well and the same bonding issue happened on those. Brian
--
----- --
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:56:56 UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:

to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes that will take a numbe r of accessories eg.

ut I note that these type of boxes are only to be used with white plastic v ersions. Is there some reason for this and is it a safety issue? Do the dim ensions of metal faceplates not conform to a standard like the white plasti c versions?

How about these? (Amazon.com product link shortened) 54E
On 13/10/2019 08:37, harry wrote:

And the can of chrome spray paint?
--
Adam

On 12/10/2019 09:56, Tricky Dicky wrote:

I am sure what you linked to would work with some chrome switches and sockets (eg the CLICK DECO stuff without it's plastic trim and some Volex chrome stuff)
The majority of chrome stuff however seems to be wider than the white stuff.
--
Adam