Anyone clued up on shrubs?

I want a shrub,

About 6 foot high, columnar rather then the spread out sort,

Happy to grow in shade,

Preferably fragrant.

Any input.....Ta.

Reply to
R D S

Mmm shade is the problem

Bay perhaps - quite fast growing. If you want flowers look at various viburnums.

All will need clipping tho except Irish yew which will need topping instead

Aucuba is shade tolerant. So is box, but it takes forever to grow.

Osmanthus is easy to keep clipped and has nice flowers in spring

What soil?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Shade is very limiting. Partial, full, how much shade?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not such an easy question to answer. As TNP says, shade is the problem. Lots of possibilities for shrubs that do well in good light or sunshine, but not so many for shade, given your other requirements of habit, flowering and fragrance.

Some things to think about before you choose anything: is your soil acid or alkaline? You may not know, but if people in your area grow camellias and rhododendrons, it's probably acid. Do you want it evergreen, or will you be OK with deciduous? Where are you and what minimum temperatures do you get in winter?

Mahonia japonica comes to mind. Mahonia media is similar but a little less hardy. Eucryphia nymansensis is narrow, evergreen with white flowers in summer, but no fragrance and will get tall in time.

Some Philadelphus species will take partial shade, although most are spreading rather than upright. P. Buckley's Quill is described as 'upright', as is P. Burfordiensis and P. delavayi. Deciduous, white flowers, summer, scented.

Osmanthus species are OK in some shade, but again, tend to be rounded and spreading rather than upright. O. burkwoodii and O. delavayi come to mind. Evergreen, white flowers in spring, heavily scented.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Holly grows in shade. Think of bushes with very dark green leaves (lots of chlorophyl.)

Rhodedendrum. Bay

Reply to
harry

Not fragrant, but... Hydrangea macrophylla 'Madame Emile Mouillère'

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

I expect some of the regular posters here would meet that spec!

Reply to
John Rumm

With taller plants/shrubs I've wondered about the definition of shade. Up against or a few metres away from a fence the lower part of the shrub may be in full shade but the top of the shrub above 1.5 metres could be in full sun during much of the day. Would a shrub recommended for full sun be OK be suitable once it had grown tall enough (or purchased at a

1.5 metre height)?
Reply to
alan_m

Can't give you a definitive answer, but a few metres in front of the fence should be OK, unless the 'fence' was very tall, as the sun would shine over it for much of the time except perhaps in deepest winter. Closer to the fence I'd be more doubtful. Once it got above the fence height it should be OK, although it might be slower to get there, be rather leggy, and the shaded part might not flower so well.

Others might have a more-informed reply based on experience.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We got a holly tree (Ilex) as it happens, supposed to be prune free, should provide flowers and berries but I think I may need a male one nearby for that to happen...

Reply to
R D S

Do you know the sex of your tree? Both male and female trees produce flower. The female trees have flowers with an obvious knob in the centre, aka a 'pin' or stigma, that receives the pollen from the male and results in a berry

whereas the male tree has flowers with no knob or just a very small one, and don't produce berries.

If you know the name of it, be aware that 'Golden King' is female, and 'Golden Queen ' is male. All very contemporary!

BTW, you holly will definitely be prune free. I can guarantee it will have no prunes on it whatsoever! :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

about 1-2" a year...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is a female King.

Reply to
R D S

You could try uk.rec.gardening

Reply to
bert

Some of them end up almost as big as trees. Choose carefully.

Reply to
Andrew

Only if you dont cut them.

same as cotoneasters. Some are effing huge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that may have been a "woosh"...

Reply to