Looking for jackable wheelstands for car

I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them, then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me with everything under the sun (as per usual).

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence wheelstands should be safer.)

MM

Reply to
MM

its going to be miles more expensive than ramps.

And

Trigger

Ramps are OK. If you are nervous, get a pair of the longer shallow angle ones intended for sports cars. That said, a proper garage lift is on my lottery list, together with the swimming pool...

Reply to
Newshound

You still seem to be running away from answering the question of how manyu children you have brought up. Surely an expert on childcare would remember how many children they have?

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Trigger wrote

the first bit to collapse on that design, especially as a medium size car is circa 1200 Kg and the car lift is rated at 350Kg (static load?)

It's not something that I would use to work UNDER a car.

Reply to
Alan

FFS give it rest Firth!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Autos (Heywood) Ltd

Reply to
Periproct

By the length and width, you'd be using two or four of these at a time.

Four at a time and each will be seeing only 1/4 of the total weight - ignoring any weight differential between front and rear of the vehicle.

Two at a time, and it'll probably less, as lifting one end (or even one side) of the car will transfer weight to the grounded end/side.

No. I'd not want to use them either, they just don't look right do they? Although they are presumably designed and tested to well over the rated load.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

But each wheel won't have 1200kg on it just a fraction but I agree the legs do look like bits of pressed steel. It will also need a smooth surface for the legs to rest on as they will need to come together as the lift rises and it appears to be pneumatic rather than hydraulic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have a look on eBay - they aren't that expensive. The real pain is that they usually have 3 phase motors.

Reply to
Huge

They only have a lift height of about 5", why would you bother. You can get some wooden blocks and use a trolley jack to get that height. Cheaper and safer.

Reply to
dennis

Well, you're still going to have to drive onto those - so what's the difference? They'd also by nature be heavier than a fixed type - and decent fixed types are already quite heavy/bulky. If you don't like driving up the steep slope, ones with a more gradual one can be found. If the problem is the car pushing them along, fix some rubber matting to the bottom.

Generally anywhere near a suspension mount will be strong enough to take the weight. Use some decent wood to protect things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Visions of a car parked and floating haphazardly (air beds?) in the middle of a swimming pool have swum into my head, dunno why...

' ' '

Ah, has me alarm clock gone off yet?

Reply to
Adrian C

Alan pretended :

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift. It only shows one, which would just lift one side of a car.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield wrote

And that's why its described as a car scissor lift :)

Reply to
Alan

Sods law could kick in as well, When you find the job you need to do is easier or requires the wheels/hubs etc off then you still have to support elsewhere anyway.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I generally winch mine up with a horizontal cable winch or Tirfor, rather than driving up. It's slower, easier to control, and certainly much easier if you're working on your own.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It happens that Alan formulated :

Well it is a Chinese web site and we all know what Chinese instruction leaflets are like, when translated lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

FFuck off!

Reply to
Steve Firth

I don't like the Chinese; not after what they done to Pearl Harbour.

Reply to
Trigger