Lock problem

A couple of years ago, I fitted new anti-snap, anti-bump eurocylinders to the locks on our front and back doors, keyed alike so I didn't have to carry around two different keys. So far, so good; all worked well, key turned both locks from inside and from outside.

The back door is seldom used. When I came to try it a few days ago, although everything was OK from the inside, when I tried to put the key in from the outside, it wouldn't go in more than a few mm. I tried gently tapping the key, and then squirting some PTFE WD40 to free it, but to no effect. It still won't take the key.

I did wonder whether some oik had put something into the lock, but why do the one door and not the other, as the front door lock is perfectly OK.

Any suggestions on freeing it up?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Which door would you rather try and break in through if you were a housebreaker? Front or rear?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

In this case, both doors face the front of the house, and they're pretty much identical PVC doors. There's also a security light near the back door that would light them up very well if they'd tried to get in after dark.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

What brand of lock? I have just changed some locks, all keyed alike. I hope I don't get the same problem. Maybe take the lock out and try some Plus Gas, or oil. Or contact who ever sold you the lock.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Ah, your use of the words "back door" confused me. How silly of me. ;-)

Personally I'd take the cylinder out and examine closely under a strong light and magnification and see if you can see anything stuck in it or if a pin is stuck down. It's only a few seconds work to do and a lot better than poking around the lock on your doorstep.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, sorry about that! The 'back door' used to be on the side of the house, but then the house was extended and the new 'back door' moved to the front, but we still think of it as the 'back door'.

Yes, that's what I'll do; I was just hoping there might be a simple tip that I had missed.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

UAP Anti-Snap Euro Cylinder Nickel high security locks - BS Kitemarked. From Truly PVC Supplies via Amazon.

Chris Hogg

I bought the Mul-T-Lock Integrator products, partly because I wanted a Euro and oval profile cylinders keyed alike. They were not cheap!

Reply to
Michael Chare