liquid cryste display failure modes

That's the beauty of language, you can turn almost any word or phrase into an expletive by the simple expedient of adding a pling (exclamation mark) on the end. It's funny how swiftly children will recognise almost any such words or phrases for what they truly are, expletives. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Don't often hear 'pling' used for that thewse days (the word pling for ! I mean). I used to use it a lot.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You need to use RISC OS on your computer, All program names are preceded by Pling (!).

Reply to
Charles Hope

Preceeding RISC OS, BBC Basic used pling as a quad-byte peek/poke operator.

Reply to
Andy Burns

All very nice. The trouble is that these days, once fuckits have been pinged, they cannot be replaced even if recaptured. This is because casings are made of plastic held together by moulded latches. The art of repair is to discover where to distort the case to release at least one latch, which then makes the rest of them easier to find. If brute force is used on the case, the latches all break off with lots of pinging.

Reply to
Dave W

OK I just tried it with a mono 2.5mm jack plug connected to an RCA plug, wired tip to centre, sleeve to sleeve, and our 7-year old Panasonic plasma TV can display the setup menus whether the Bushnell is set to PAL or NTSC.

I was under the impression that most recent (say 5 yrs old or less) TVs would handle NTSC.

If it's not working for you, maybe the fault is more fundamental than just an LCD failure?

Reply to
Reentrant

Thanks I'll have to buy a converter they seem only to cost a quid.

No the fundamental problem is lack of correct connection, thanks for your help.

AJH

Reply to
news

Ah you need a proper set of levers and "finger nails"(*). Makes a heck of difference in unlatching cases. One of my Christmas presents was a Maplin "7 piece iPhone Tool Kit" AA22QU. Can't say I've used the screwdrivers, screen sucker but the "prying tools"(*) are excellent and the opening levers also useful for exploring where the latches are.

Rounded triangular bits of very tough plastic with tapered/gently curved points to the triangle. Centre is quite thick a dished to enable a firm grip. Ease point into case joint let it take its natural position between the two halves and and slide along the latches just seem to magically unlatch.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That should just mean a PAL only set won't display colour or have sound. You should get a monochrome image though. Assuming you don't have a modern telly that has been told not to accept NTSC, most will take almost anything these days. The frame rate and line timing is close enough for an analogue set to lock to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I have to remember not to cut my nails before going to a repair event. They often work better than any pry tools, and if you break them, they grow back again in time for the next event.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

As others might surmise, it shows that I own a copy of "Linux for Dummies". :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Dave, Thanks for the info. The Maplin kit is A22QU at £6.99. It's not clear whether the opening levers are any better than screwdrivers. The prying tools look interesting but I think I can use other things. It can be puzzling to know which of the two plastic shells to pull out or press in to release the latches.

Reply to
Dave W

They are much broader, 8 mm wide, and the tip is fine and angled at about 45 deg to the shaft but not just a simple bend, more of a dog leg. The width means they spread the levering load better than a screw driver and they can get into a smaller gap.

Maybe but these "finger nails" are better than the real thing as they are harder and not as flexable. Also it doesn't hurt when you apply some force.

Just need to explore and see which bits of case move and which bits are held. Quite often there will be some indication in the moulding of the prescense of a latch. And by seeing how bit's of case move (or not) you can triangulate onto that hidden screw as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave, In response to your glowing recommendation, I bought the Maplin kit for possible future use. The parts are more suited to small iPhone sized cases than the printers and monitors I've been mending, but they could be of use. I was intrigued by the tiny 5-lobed Torx screwdriver for violating the manufacturer's warranty!

Reply to
Dave W

In message , Dave W writes

Back up this thread, I was intrigued by a comment about *repairing* handset buttons. Membrane and conductive pixie dust?

My PVR handset buttons have become very unreliable, particularly the

*fast forward* which gets used to avoid adverts. Now rather mature Topfield 5810. I am reluctant to replace the box having renewed the electrolytics and filled the drive with cherished films.

Are such repairs really within reach?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Why not just replace the handset with a generic one? They are available in many stores/on-line.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Oh!

Not thought of that.

15 quid or so from Amazon supplier and good reviews!

Ta:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My pleasure.

Once its set up you can still play with the old one if you get bored knowing that you do have a working one!

Reply to
Mark Allread

If by generic you mean the ones with many programmable aliases, you may find that not all the original buttons are reproduced.

I have always been able to mend old remotes by dismantling and cleaning the board and buttons with soap and water. Go easy on the buttons to avoid rubbing off the conductive carbon coating.

Reply to
Dave W