Lighting circuit

£22+vat = £26.40, so it's £17.40 saved per reel. If you pa y any attention to product design you'll realise that the relative cheapnes s of today's goods is partly down to many such economising measures. Spendi ng money pointlessly is not a positive move.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that and the ability of the average practical householder to add new sockets were the main drivers at the time. Safety was also a consideration. The safety upside is maybe more significant today.

not really, but it's a plus.

Rings turn a high resistance connection fault from a fire into a nonevent. That's their prime plus point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that and the ability of the average practical householder to add new sockets were the main drivers at the time. Safety was also a consideration. The safety upside is maybe more significant today.

not really, but it's a plus.

Rings turn a high resistance connection fault from a fire into a nonevent. That's their prime plus point.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's a drop in the ocean of building a house and for that you want to reduce safety (lack of CPC) and increased fire risk due to removing the sheath.

Reply to
Tim Watts

and those LED tapes can be over 70W for a 5m one...

Reply to
John Rumm

Not to mention all the extra call outs to an electrician to fix the circuit because someone stepped on a cable in the loft and broke the wire.

My prediction for the day: Bell wire has absolutely no future in household electrical circuit wiring.

Reply to
John Rumm

999 Emergency : "what service do you require?"

Nige : "Ambulance and quick, I am in so much pain!"

999 Emergency : "What is the nature of your problem?"

Nige : "I was looking for something in my loft, balancing on a joist, and put my hand on a pipe to steady myself. Anyway it turns out some tightwad wired my lights in bell wire, and I must have stood on the cable and broke it. All of a sudden there was a bang, and I got a massive shock, my trousers caught fire, and my bollocks exploded!"

999 Emergency : "OK keep calm, we have completed the triage process and can confirm that there is nothing to worry about. Since you are obviously not dead your injury is classed as statistically unreliable and probably not genuine. So we will not dispatch an ambulance at this time." 999 Emergency : "If the problem worsens, say for example the fire in your trousers were to spread to the structure of your house, then please call 999 again and ask for the fire service. Thank you for calling 999, and have a nice day. ".
Reply to
John Rumm

No they didn't. They did try to make the minimum standards the same everywhere.

You don't have to use a ring or the wiring regs, they are the *minimum* standard.

Reply to
dennis

They do, every join makes a circuit less reliable.

A ring with one socket may be more reliable than a star with one socket but that's about it.

The biggest problem with rings is latent faults, they continue to operate even when the ring is broken but the user can't tell its faulty. Then you have two radials protected by a 32A breaker which is not allowed as its dangerous.

If you have a fault in a radial then something won't work and the user will probably notice and get it fixed.

There are probably hundred if not thousands of broken rings out there.

I have one here but I fused it as a radial to make it safe. The fault is in a wall and I can't be bothered to replace the cable ATM.

Reply to
dennis
8<

But make the second high resistance fault into a more likely fire. That's their main drawback.

Reply to
dennis

It will cost him more than that to get s suitable RCD for 0.1A current. And it won't run my 36W LED tubes either.

Reply to
dennis

I have one with 144 5050 LEDs per metre. Its a lot of current at 5V.

Reply to
dennis

Not without a very long extension :-)

Reply to
Scott

Oh yes they did. It was back in the 60's. It was a funny socket with a centre earth pin. Each to be wired separately as a radial. No fuse in the plug.

Fortunately all abandoned.

Reply to
harry

Is switching off the electricity and testing the two reds then the two blacks for continuity enough?

Reply to
Scott

It's still useful for bells :)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why bother with insulation... Go back to knob and tube wiring - much more efficient and sorts out any rats that get in too :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I happened to notice the (already disconnected) doorbell transformer in my parents' house, input and output sides using bellwire ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes.

And the earths!

Reply to
ARW

Nonsense. All high resistance connections are a fire hazard.

Reply to
ARW