Lighting circuit

That was a manufacturer trying to get the standards changed, the EU stopped them.

Reply to
dennis

One might but what about the other nine?

I know of one house where they have 36 50W halogen bulbs on one switch so that won't do your bell wire much good.

Reply to
dennis

Yes on all the wires. Which householder do you know that does that, ever let alone frequently enough to ensure there are no breaks for a significant length of time.

Also who installs proper test points so that the frequent disconnections, test, and reconnection doesn't result in a fire in the CU?

Reply to
dennis

I'd love you to explain that.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

No its not. Its convenient but less safe.

We used PVC cables in telephone exchanges and we discovered that if you left them above the rack without the cooling fans running they would fail. The exhaust temp was about 85C at most.

So will one without an earth if it has an RCD.

Its also easy to test for with a £3 test plug unlike a fault on a ring.

Reply to
dennis

But the RCD will provide protection.

Reply to
dennis

I won't ask you to do failure analysis.

Reply to
dennis

It's meme time...

(Yes SFW)

For Brian:

Toy Story: Buzz and Woody looking outwards, Buzz:

"Rod Speed. Rod Speed Everywhere...."

Reply to
Tim Watts

He does rather seem to think in terms of people with one bulb dangling in the middle of the ceiling. A neighbour replaced one such in a bedroom by 12 LED ceiling downlights and 4 LED wall lights on 2 dimmers plus a ceiling fan. Call it a round 120W.

Reply to
Robin

Considering which group we are in, is there *anywhere* not readily accessible to some end users?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If it works!

Reply to
ARW

you're suggesting unearthed lighting is a danger. Time has shown it's not

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Correct. The uk also generally fails to repeal requirements that have turned out to not be required.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

do you have the data? Some alleged shock data was presented here a while back, but it was completely useless data.

Yup. Mostly the requirements are sound. But sometimes they prove not needed. The precautions used in the US K&T system are an example of that.

Where does the million come from? Ya know we are surrounded by risks that kill substantial numbers of people. Those are the ones to tackle.

buried in plaster is fine. Between floor/ceiling is ok where not open to rodents, which new builds aren't.

why would you make it poorly insulated? The outer sheath of T&E is not required to get good hipot insulation readings.

How does that make sense? No-one is suggesting running 1A wire on a 6A breaker.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

what sort of nitwit would put 1800w on a 1A or 1.5A circuit? You do ask some dumb questions.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

This ring circuit basic concepts stuff. A single bad connection breaking the ring on a ring circuit - feel free to explain how you think that's a danger.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Feel free to explain how 120w would not work on a 1A or 1.5A circuit. Should be interesting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've never understood earthing light sockets. You *might* touch the brass bezel of a light bulb when removing it, but you *might* then stick your fingers into the empty socket.

Reply to
Max Demian

Time was that people put a 150W bulb in the bulb holder, for a nice bright light.

Reply to
Max Demian

That's true of all the stuff.

There are a lot of circuit components that may be faulty and the user never knows until its too late. The more you add the more likely there will be a fault that may go undetected.

I had the same issues when designing fault tolerant systems for telephone exchanges. Having redundancy wasn't much use if you couldn't detect a fault in the redundant unit.

Reply to
dennis